Injection site ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul.johnson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
morning all, Just going thru BDEC course on web,and it says that your quick reacting insulin should be injected into your stomach as it is much more quicker than thru legs,if this is so,then i have to inject my stomach 3 times a day,surely this will make my skin tougher much much quicker,,?
Any ideas on other sites for rapid insulin,,cheers

yes on your bottom , but i do it to my son i dont know if is very practical for an adult at school they do it in his arm

Hi Paul, it's true that insulin absorbs at different rates from different parts of the body, but that doesn't mean you always have to use particular sites for each type - you just need to take into account the likely absorbtion rate when you inject. For example, I inject into the top of my hips for meals sometimes, and this is slower than my stomach so I inject 20 mins before eating to give it a 'start'. You also need to consider how you may be using the muscles in the area you inject. For example, injecting in your leg and then going for a walk or run will cause the insulin to absorb much more quickly so it is better to inject elsewhere if you plan these activities.

As for slow acting, I have no particular site that I inject for this - recently I have been using my tummy.

Hi Northerner,i have always been told to inject 20 mins before meal,it was 30 mins before on old pigs insulin,,,learning something new every day on here

Hi Northerner,i have always been told to inject 20 mins before meal,it was 30 mins before on old pigs insulin,,,learning something new every day on here

Unfortunately, knowing when to inject could be a degree course by itself! Depends what you're eating, what you're doing, what you did, wheer you do it - all sorts of stuff! I think you can only really get close by using a pump and doing lots of testing - although with a pump you are effectively injecting in the same place for up to 4 days at a time, in which case I'm not sure how much you need to allow for canula site! I think the older insulins didn't start working so quickly, so there was always a minimum time before eating. With the new ones it's even possible to inject after eating, depending on the meal!

I was told years ago that the old idea of allowing different times for different areas was no longer practiced.

I was told a couple of weeks ago by a DSN that this is wrong and that it is still how Northerner says. There are a lot of vague ideas out there from professinals who are either stuck in the 70s or know little bits.

You're not alone with learning new things. Thanks to forums such as this, hopefully we can all find out what is right and works best for us.

Rob

Paul, as a rule the stomach is the fastest area for insulin absorption, followed by the arms, legs and then the buttocks. How fast and how well it controls post-prandial blood glucose is really down to personal experience, and only by experimenting and testing can you determine how well each areas works. I wouldn't inject 3 times daily in the stomach, and much prefer to rotate the injection sites to prevent lumps and tenderness of the skin, as a rule my basal insulin gets injected into my bum, and the bolus goes in the arms or legs more often than the stomach, but much depends on what I am eating and how fast my food will hit my system. Toby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back