Injection against Pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Had a phone call from my surgery this evening, saying that they're 'rounding up' all the diabetics on their books, and inviting them in for an injection against Pneumonia. Apparently its one of those things that's free to all over 65's, and then to patients with illnessess such as Diabetes, Asthma etc, which lowers resistance. It's a one off, once you've had it you're protected 'for life'.

Has anyone else had this injection? I didn't even know there was something like this out there!

xx

Yes I've had it, they gave it to me alongside the flu jab within the first month or so of diagnosis.

I have not been contacted by my GPs surgery yet, maybe i will in time, i hope so. I'm all for having any vaccination that comes along and offers protection against illnesses.

I had it about 12 years ago as I'm asthmatic and very prone to nasty chest infections. At that time I was told I would have to have another after 10 years but when I went along my G.P said the new guidance is one for life. Don't remember much about it but I figured if it offered extra protection then it was an investment I was willing to make.

Pretty sure I had it last year. I also get the Flu jab every year, which is another way of protecting you from pneumonia, as if you get flu you stand a bigger risk of getting pneumonia. Some people don't get on with the flu jab, but I found it helps me.

last post might not read right... It was free I didn't have to pay for it!

Yes i had this last year too...

Bernie x 🙂

i had it about 4years ago & i got every side effect listed :( i was really ill for 4 days i couldn't get out of bed (stiff arm, neck, severe headache to name a few i thought i had menigitus) thank goodness it is a one off vaccination as i wouldn't have it again. I do get the flu jab every year with no problems or side effects i think i was just unlucky but make sure you have a good look at the patient info leaflet so you know what the side effects are.

Got one along side the flu jab at the end of last year.

i had it about 4years ago & i got every side effect listed :( i was really ill for 4 days i couldn't get out of bed (stiff arm, neck, severe headache to name a few i thought i had menigitus) thank goodness it is a one off vaccination as i wouldn't have it again. I do get the flu jab every year with no problems or side effects i think i was just unlucky but make sure you have a good look at the patient info leaflet so you know what the side effects are.

Thanks for the warning - I asked about side effects, and she said they were absolutely minimal, and very rare, maybe a sore arm ............... 🙄

xx

no probs hopefully you won't get any of the side effects but better to be pre-warned 😉

pretty sure i was given it a few years back with flu jab after being first dx ...my gp is pretty hot on all of this tho so i would suggest (IMO) having it if you can 🙂

haven't had it but if offered I'll take it, but always forget to bring it up when at the duck pond.

like a few on here i got the jab not long after being told i had diabetes along with the flu jab

Yes I've had it, they gave it to me alongside the flu jab within the first month or so of diagnosis.

Same with me, when I was first diagnosed I was offered the jab when I had the flu jab.

I have had this jab. I had it last year and thankfully only had the side effect of a sore arm afterwards.

I haven't been offered one yet, but I have a feeling that I will be sooner or later, as our GP practice seems quite keen on innoculations. My wife, who is severely asthmatic had one a couple of years ago with the flu jab, and she was quite poorly for a good two or three days... She had the swine flu jab as well this spring as she was (and still is) pregnant (due in about 3 weeks) and that was fine, no side effects at all.

R

Thanks for the warning - I asked about side effects, and she said they were absolutely minimal, and very rare, maybe a sore arm ............... 🙄

xx

I'm sure its rare but I was ill for a week, major arm pain, dizzyness/sickness zapped of energy....it was horrible....

Altho they gave me the flu jab and phenumonia one at the same time!!!! xxxxx

I had mine a couple of years before I was diagnosed. No side effects, it's only the flu jab that gives me those.

I was told it only lasts 10 years though :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back