injecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

litto-miss-loz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey all

just wondered how you know if your injecting properly?

i usually get a tiny bit of blood after injecting and sometimes bruising, does this mean im doing it wrong??

ta

Hey all

just wondered how you know if your injecting properly?

i usually get a tiny bit of blood after injecting and sometimes bruising, does this mean im doing it wrong??

ta

No you're doing it right 🙂 sometimes I bruise and bleed , sometimes not , its just ones of those things with injecting Lol 🙄

it's more likely to be the area you are testing i think. perhaps a place you have recently injecting or a more sensitive place.

Personally, I don't bruise, but I do bleed occasionally. It's just if you hit a blood vessel (capilliary).

The way to know if you are doing it properly is to measure you bgs. As long as they are under control then the insulin is getting in and doing it's job.

As a type 2 I had often wondered how you knew, but didnt like to ask. Now i know.

Personally, I don't bruise, but I do bleed occasionally. It's just if you hit a blood vessel (capilliary).

The way to know if you are doing it properly is to measure you bgs. As long as they are under control then the insulin is getting in and doing it's job.

Yes - don't think that if a little blood appears that that means that you have injected into a vein, it is the tiny capilliaries that the needle sometimes passes through - the insulin still goes into a fatty layer.

a few weeks ago i went through a phase of bruising really, really, really badly after injecting into my arms. it stopped after a little while, but lots of my coworkers offered to 'have a word' with my boyfriend 😛

I sometimes get little bleeds but if I press on them they stop. 🙂 I get bruises sometimes too. First time I got one I woke up one day and wondered what I'd walked into the night before. Took me a while to realise it was because of the injection.
a few weeks ago i went through a phase of bruising really, really, really badly after injecting into my arms. it stopped after a little while, but lots of my coworkers offered to 'have a word' with my boyfriend 😛
How is he? :D

I hurt bleed and sometimes bruise, I think the bruising is to do with needle not going in straight. Sometimes I start penetrating, but think it hurts too much so move site, now is this me being a soft southener, or is it a mental thing, or sometimes I think it's too near hair so move the site, i dunno!

Another thing after my 2nd ever injection, I remember I had real bad stomach / body cramp and felt like shit for about half an hour?? Whats that all about??

I hurt bleed and sometimes bruise, I think the bruising is to do with needle not going in straight. Sometimes I start penetrating, but think it hurts too much so move site, now is this me being a soft southener, or is it a mental thing, or sometimes I think it's too near hair so move the site, i dunno!

i do that quite alot, if it starts to hurt too much i do it somewhere else! if i just keep going that usually when i get a big bruise!

I've had people ask those sort of questions to me when I've had bad bruising on my arms!

K also experiences all of the above, pain, bleeding and bruising from time to time.
We are often told (as I'm sure so are you) the importance of changing injection sites. She will alternate between her stomach and thighs but has yet to do ever use her arms. I think she thinks it will be more painful, or maybe she doesn't want the bruises.
What do you guys think?

DP

K also experiences all of the above, pain, bleeding and bruising from time to time.
We are often told (as I'm sure so are you) the importance of changing injection sites. She will alternate between her stomach and thighs but has yet to do ever use her arms. I think she thinks it will be more painful, or maybe she doesn't want the bruises.
What do you guys think?

DP

I only ever tried my arms once. I don't use my thighs either. I've found that, although I use to bruise quite a lot in the months after diagnosis it rarely seems to happen now. I use the area at the top of my hips, as far round the back as I can comfortably reach - there's more fatty tissue there and it doesn't interfere with running (you'e not supposed to inject in an area that may be used in physical activity a lot, so legs are out for running). I inject my lantus/slow-acting in my belly, alternating sides each evening.

What do you guys think?

DP
I've never injected into my arms. I don't think I have enough flesh there to inject into. I think it would be really arward to do as well, especially as I have back trouble.

I occasionally bruise and bleed- those are usually really painful injections and I can tell straight away that I am going to bruise.

Maybe if it's happening alot then using shorter or longer needles than you are currently using might help.

You can always ask your DSN to watch you inject to check you are doing it right.

What do you guys think?

DP

I used to use my arms, when I was newly diagnosed, but since then have been advised not to. Something to do with absorption rates I think. I use my thighs for my long acting Levemir injections and my stomach for my novorapid, just out of habit really!

I occasionally bruise and bleed- those are usually really painful injections and I can tell straight away that I am going to bruise.

Maybe if it's happening alot then using shorter or longer needles than you are currently using might help.

You can always ask your DSN to watch you inject to check you are doing it right.

Yeah... I bleed quite often and bruise a lot. I hate it, especially in the summer when the legs have to come out! Once I injected and I must've hit a particularly active capillary and when I pulled the needle out blood spurted across the room! Nice 😛

I've never injected into my arms. I don't think I have enough flesh there to inject into. I think it would be really arward to do as well, especially as I have back trouble.

At a course I was on last week, we were told that we should pinch to inject into the fat layer the insulin is supposed to go into and that that meant you couldn't use your arms form a purely practical point of view as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back