Injected for tea and pudding - is it ok to have pudding later

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Last night I injected for my tea and my pudding in one dose - when I went to get my yoghurt (23g of carbs) out of the fridge the last one had been eaten - I went into a panic - my husband very kindly went out to Tesco to get some more but it was what seemed like a good hour before he came home with them

Last night I injected for my tea and my pudding in one dose - when I went to get my yoghurt (23g of carbs) out of the fridge the last one had been eaten - I went into a panic - my husband very kindly went out to Tesco to get some more but it was what seemed like a good hour before he came home with them
OMG that's a lot of carbs for a yoghurt.
Could you not have had something else?

Since I believe you don't generally pre-bolus, that should be absolutely fine and since you don't mention that you hypoed then it obviously was fine.
Personally I would just have had something else which added up to the equivalent number of carbs in that situation like a couple of chocolate digestives perhaps, or whatever else you had in the house. If you had an alternative dessert which was higher in carbs, you could have had that and just injected a bit more insulin for the extra carbs over the 23.

The only difference that it might make is to your bedtime reading. So it might show you slightly lower or possibly higher than you would have been if you had eaten it with the meal depending upon how long after eating the yoghurt bedtime was.

Just want to say, your husband is a total star for heading out to get more yoghurt for you!

Golly I think you might have been quite lucky if you didn’t go hypo while you were waiting! Personally I’d have had some biscuits or something else to make up the missing carbs

I would agree with leadinglights, why not just have something else if it worries you. A slice of toast is pretty much 20g of carbs

Like others I would've had something else that totalled the same amount of carbs as if I'd bolused for 23g carbs and didn't get them for an hour I'd most certainly be hypo and also I wouldn't want anyone to go out of their way and have to go out and get things so I'd just make do with what was available, so while you seem to be ok I wouldn't make a habit out of it xx

Thank you for all your replies and they did try and talk me into having something else like a couple of digestives to make up for the missing carbs.

OMG that's a lot of carbs for a yoghurt.
Could you not have had something else?
It's a lot of carbs but I'm type 1 on insulin and I don't need to eat low carb. Any other type 1s like me - am I right about this?

Thank you for all your replies and they did try and talk me into having something else like a couple of digestives to make up for the missing carbs.
Was there any particular reason why you didn't do that? It would have been less risk of hypoing than delaying for a replacement to be bought and not inconvenienced your husband. Carbs are carbs as far as insulin is concerned, so it doesn't know/care whether the 23g carbs come from a yoghurt or biscuits.

I wouldn't even want my mum or Bruce to nip to either of the 2 shops a couple of minutes away if I'm honest

It's a lot of carbs but I'm type 1 on insulin and I don't need to eat low carb. Any other type 1s like me - am I right about this?
It was more that I was surprised that there was any yoghurt with that many carbs, than you shouldn't have had it.

It was more that I was surprised that there was any yoghurt with that many carbs, than you shouldn't have had it.
Ahh right I understand you now. You learn something new every day.

I presume it's a variety of the Muller Corner's xx

We've come a long way since the original role model for the likes of Ms Shirtslinger, Ursula Undress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back