Injected for carbs at lunchtime but forgot to have some of them - what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I injected for 68g of carbs at lunchtime 14:14 then realised at 17:00 ish that I'd forgotten to eat 13g of them. Teatime won't be until around 18:00 - 19:00.

If your worried about going low just watch out for hypo symptoms and do you use the libre?

Your choices are either eat the 13g now or check your BG and if that’s OK then you’re going to eat again within an hour anyway so you might have got away with it.

Your choices are either eat the 13g now or check your BG and if that’s OK then you’re going to eat again within an hour anyway so you might have got away with it.
The 13g was a 2 finger kit kat - I couldn't really eat that now. I've checked my BG at 18:11 and it's a nice 7.3 within target 6-10mmol so it looks as though I've got away with it 😛

I didn't get away with it because at 19:13 before tea I dropped to 4.6 below target 6-10mmol so had 2x dextrose tablets then waited 15 minutes before testing again at 19:31 and I was still below target so had 1x more dextrose tablet and waited another 15 minutes and tested again at 19:50 and I was then 6.7 so just about back in target so at this point went ahead and had my tea warmed up in the microwave - good job I wasn't eating out.

I didn't get away with it because at 19:13 before tea I dropped to 4.6 below target 6-10mmol so had 2x dextrose tablets then waited 15 minutes before testing again at 19:31 and I was still below target so had 1x more dextrose tablet and waited another 15 minutes and tested again at 19:50 and I was then 6.7 so just about back in target so at this point went ahead and had my tea warmed up in the microwave - good job I wasn't eating out.
It may be out of target but don’t forget that a hypo is anything below 4.With the forgetting to eat the last 13g at lunch I do that all the time but don’t realise untill I see the packet of crisps is still there hours later!

You only need to eat Dextrose if you are hypo, which you weren’t. You were a bit below target but your bolus adviser would have adjusted that with your tea time bolus. With a reading of 4.6 we’d have just got on and had tea and there would have been a negative correction to adjust the BG back up (i.e. it would reduce the bolus slightly)

If you make a similar mistake again (we all do it!) and don’t want to risk not eating the missing carbs, you don’t have to eat exactly what you forgot if you don’t fancy it, just eat something else which adds up to the same amount of carbs

Why didn’t you just eat your tea? You weren’t low, it was more than 4 hours since last insulin so you weren’t going to continue dropping. Could have just eaten your tea whilst it was ready and hot and knocked a bit off the bolus.

You eat Dextro to push your blood sugar up to target when you’re trying to regain hypo awareness.

It works very well if you follow the system. No-one is saying 4.5 is a hypo - but that’s not the point. You nudge your blood sugar up quickly with a tiny amount of Dextro. I’ve done it to sharpen my awareness and it works perfectly. It is NOT the same as normal control or hypos. It’s a specific method to regain awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back