Infusion site infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatashaC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I am new to this site and fairly new to pumping, about 3 months using an Omnipod. I was diagnosed T1 12 years ago as a 40th birthday present. So far I think the pump has been amazing, I would be really surprised if my HBA1c hasn't improved massively.

However I now have a problem as I think I have an infection at an infusion site on my stomach. I first noticed a red patch which was a little sore when I took a pod off - 4 days ago. Since when it has got redder and sorer and there is also a lump under the skin.

My question is should I go to the doctor/nurse? Is it likely to need antibiotics? Or will a chemist be able to help? Or should I wait a little longer to see if it gets better?

Whilst I think I know the answer I just want confirmation...

Thank-you
Natasha

Hi Natasha, welcome to the forum 🙂 Yes, I would definitely get that seen to as soon as you can, better safe than sorry!

Hi Natasha and welcome to the forum.
Use a hot compress to draw out any muck/pus and put some antiseptic cream on the wound. If still looking sore or angry tomorrow then get the practice nurse to check it out. Keep infusion sites well away from that area until well healed as well.

Hi Natasha,

Yes that sounds like a subcutaneous infection at the cannula site, and if so you will need oral antibiotics as soon as possible. The skin is the first line of defence against bacteria, but once they are in the subcutaneous layer you need to act quickly to prevent a nasty deep-seated infection spreading. In fact my son has been prescribed "spare" antibiotics to keep at home so that he could start the course immediately in the event of a cannula infection (he has had two in nearly 6 years of pumping).

Thanks

I will try a compress tonight and get round to my GP's tomorrow, which I think is needed 😱

I have read that infections are one of the most common reasons for people giving up on pumps :(

Thanks

I will try a compress tonight and get round to my GP's tomorrow, which I think is needed 😱

I have read that infections are one of the most common reasons for people giving up on pumps :(

Thanks

Wow have never heard that about people giving up due to infection.
I've only had one suspect infection in the last six years so just soaked and poked all was fine 🙂

Thanks

I have been to the doctors and got some cream and antibiotics for if the cream doesn't have much effect over the next couple of days. 😉
The whole episode will make me more careful in the future, re sites for the pod.
Thanks again
Natasha

T1 dxd Nov 2001

I have been to the doctors and got some cream and antibiotics for if the cream doesn't have much effect over the next couple of days. 😉
The whole episode will make me more careful in the future, re sites for the pod.
Thanks again
Natasha

T1 dxd Nov 2001

Hope it heals quickly Natasha 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back