Infusion Set Site Small Bleed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

I'm only 2 weeks in to pumping so please excuse me if this is a really stupid question.

I did a set change this morning then have been rushing around all day since. I hadn't noticed that there's blood on the adhesive patch for the cannula. I've had a few hypos today which I put down to me running round like a headless chicken but I'm now assuming it's because I've caught a vessel or something? Do I need to change the infusion site now? It's not caused any discomfort.

TIA x

If it’s just on the adhesive patch and is dry- ie not been bleeding continually - just leave it in. If the blood is in the actual cannula, it’s best to change it. When you do remove the cannula in 2 or 3 days time, watch out for it bleeding and have a tissue ready just in case (because occasionally you get a ‘spurter’ which is fine but can be messy if you’re not ready).

And there are no stupid questions. You’re sensible to check 🙂

If it’s just on the adhesive patch and is dry- ie not been bleeding continually - just leave it in. If the blood is in the actual cannula, it’s best to change it. When you do remove the cannula in 2 or 3 days time, watch out for it bleeding and have a tissue ready just in case (because occasionally you get a ‘spurter’ which is fine but can be messy if you’re not ready).

And there are no stupid questions. You’re sensible to check 🙂
Thank you so much for your speedy response. It's not in the cannula as far as I can see. I will bear that in mind, I had a few libre spurters before and they're not pretty! X

Hi guys,

I'm only 2 weeks in to pumping so please excuse me if this is a really stupid question.

I did a set change this morning then have been rushing around all day since. I hadn't noticed that there's blood on the adhesive patch for the cannula. I've had a few hypos today which I put down to me running round like a headless chicken but I'm now assuming it's because I've caught a vessel or something? Do I need to change the infusion site now? It's not caused any discomfort.

TIA x
If your bloods are lower than expected and staying on the low side then better to be safe than sorry so change it out and as @Inka says have a tissue handy just in case of a gusher 😱

If your bloods are lower than expected and staying on the low side then better to be safe than sorry so change it out and as @Inka says have a tissue handy just in case of a gusher 😱
I've decided to change it, it's had some fresh blood and my sugars are still hovering low so better to be safe before bed! Thanks! X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back