Information for you if DVLA have refused to renew your licence

Merlin.Kernow

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I would like to share my story regarding the DVLA and Diabetes. I am a type 1 diabetic since 1976 and I passed my test in 1984. I had never had an accident and in April 2019 the DVLA refused to renew my licence because of a failed eyesight test at Specsavers. I took the Goldmann test and this again did not pass the standard required. This was very strange as I have not had any problems with my vision since2005 and 2007 when I had major eye surgery undertaken as a preventative measure against deteriorating eyesight. I was able to prove via 3 opthalmologists (1 private funded by myself) that my eyesight had not changed since 2011. DVLA seemed to disagree and it was Diabetes UK who informed me that I could be considered as an exceptional case. I undertook a driving safety check which involved a 45 minute drive and I was assessed by two people in the car. Strangely enough, I also had to undertake memory tests and strength tests to prove I was strong and did not suffer from mental impairment, which although I passed at 100%, seemed odd. I regained my licence in September 2019 after losing six months and thousands of pounds lost in income. Although I appealed against DVLA (I am happy to supply details of the appeals process to anyone who wants to know), I was awarded a small sum of money. I would like to point out that this was not paid as compensation, but as a token towards my lost income. DVLA do not seem to pay "compensation" for poor service, rather they pay money for lost income.
The moral of this story is to give hope to diabetics who may find themselves in this position. You may be able to be considered as an exceptional case even if the vision field test results are not as they should be. If you can prove that you have adapted to a limited field of vision and subject to other medical checks, you may get your licence bacl! Don't despair!

KARNAK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Merlin.Kernow.

An interesting story glad you got your licence back, yes DVLA can be very
difficult at times.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I pity anyone relying on Specsavers.
I had glasses made there after an eyetest and they were lacking an essential part of the prescription, even though they claimed to have contacted my previous opticians to check that their assessment was correct.