Inflammation Links Social Adversity and Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Diabetes is strongly associated with socioeconomic status (SES): low income, low education, and low occupational status are all linked to a higher risk for diabetes. Trying to understand the mechanisms underlying the association, Silvia Stringhini from the Institute for Social and Preventive Medicine in Lausanne, Switzerland and colleagues report in this week's PLOS Medicine that a substantial part of it appears to be attributable to chronic inflammation.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130702173152.htm

I don't understand. Inflammation of what?

I can understand that certain socioeconomic groups i.e. the Poor may eat less nourishing foods and more filler foods (carbohydrates); they are usually less expensive.

Both my husband and I came from less advantaged backgrounds; working class, council house baby boomers. We ate school dinners and went home to cooked food, few puddings and fewer sweets. We both did a lot of sport and were educated to GCE 'O' level. He developed T2, I haven't.

When I went to school girls were taught Domestic Science. We learned to make beds, re-wire a plug and cook. We were also taught food science and nourishment in Biology and I loved doing experiments to find starch in foods and working out the calorific value of foods etc.

I think more emphasis should be on teaching these subjects. I also applaud Jamie Oliver for his attempts at trying to change the culture of school dinners. When we were at school the dinners were cooked on the premises by employees of the local education authority and not for profit. It was a shamefull day when milk was snatched from schoolkids and dinners were out-sourced for private profit! So many kids these days don't have proper meals every day.

Another thing that infuriates me is the lack of after school sports activities. So many kids don't do any form of sport out of school. Again the POOR in particular. It's so expensive to go to the local leisure centres and holiday sports clubs. Our parents couldn't afford it back then but we both played sports due to our teachers. There are a lot of schemes out there but it really depends on the area, volunteers and local authority funding.

I agree cakemaker. I loved our school meals from the ages of 5-18 yrs old. When I started they were 2/6d a week (a tanner a day), and when I finished they were 75p a week, 15p a day, all made in school kitchens. We also had big playgrounds at infant and junior schools and playing fields at secondary school - now sold off for housing in the early '80s. No vending machines and no letting anyone out at lunchtime to go to chip shops if you weren't in the sixth form.

I was also from a working class, relatively poor family 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back