Infection from Libre sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Workman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've been using the libre freestyle sensors for quite a while now and I've never had any issues bat the odd one giving weird readings and a couple falling off towards the end of the 14 day cycle but 2 days ago my new one started giving very low readings. 2.8 on sensor but 12 with old style finger prick pen.

Then it started to get very sore so I removed it. My arm now feels hot and has started to turn red in the area the sensor was on. My partner thinks it's infected and potential sepsis. Very frustrating as I'm now going to have to go to hospital for goodness knows how many hours tomorrow. I'm self employed and going to lose a lot of business because of this. It's put me off using a sensor again if I'm honest.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has experienced anything similar?

Sorry to hear you have a sore arm from your sensor. I can't think of anyone reporting an infection but occasionally someone develops an allergy to the adhesive when it is generally advised to use antihistamines and either use a special barrier spray before applying the next Libre or apply it over an adhesive dressing which doesn't cause the reaction. I would suspect it is more likely that the infection was on your skin and got carried in via the needle in the sensor than that it was infected by the needle itself, but I hope you are able to get it sorted promptly at the hospital if it hasn't resolved by the morning. How do you prep your arm before applying the Libre sensor? Do you apply a plaster over the top of it to keep it secure. If so, that may cause an issue because the hole in the centre of the sensor is to allow the skin under the sensor to breath. I use an arm strap which is a plastic 3D printed watch face and adjustable elastic strap to keep mine secure and it has been a good investment.

Anyway, just some things that occurred to me. Really hope it is nothing serious and it settles down promptly ideally without needing hospital treatment, but do not delay if you think it might be sepsis.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you. I don't think its been the needle in the sensor that's been infected. More likely what you said. I prepare before I applying the sensor by shaving the hairs on my arm as the adhesive catches on hairs otherwise. Then I give arm a quick wash and dry before applying sensor. Libre used to include an anti bacterial wipe with the sensor but for some reason have stopped putting it in the box

Libre used to include an anti bacterial wipe with the sensor but for some reason have stopped putting it in the box

They did, but you can buy those swabs on Amazon & they are cheap, box of 100 for under £3. Alternatively use surgical spirit to cleanse skin, get mine from Superdrug & last time bought some it was around £1.70 for 200ml bottle.

Despite showering everyday still use above before applying sensor, as its on there for fortnight it's sensible precaution to do IMHO, do same before cannula insertion using insulin pump.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you. I don't think its been the needle in the sensor that's been infected. More likely what you said. I prepare before I applying the sensor by shaving the hairs on my arm as the adhesive catches on hairs otherwise. Then I give arm a quick wash and dry before applying sensor. Libre used to include an anti bacterial wipe with the sensor but for some reason have stopped putting it in the box
Could it be an ingrown hair from shaving? They can be nasty ( talking from experience but in the ermmm…bikini line area!) and very painful. Hope it’s nothing too serious and it’s sorted soon.

I hope you get it looked at and get antibiotics if needed. A possible cause is a staph bacteria on the skin. These can cause infections and abscesses. As a comparison, up to 40% of pump users have had an infection from their cannula, so I see no reason why a Libre couldn’t do similar. Hopefully you’ve caught it early.

Then it started to get very sore so I removed it. My arm now feels hot and has started to turn red in the area the sensor was on. My partner thinks it's infected and potential sepsis. Very frustrating as I'm now going to have to go to hospital for goodness knows how many hours tomorrow. I'm self employed and going to lose a lot of business because of this. It's put me off using a sensor again if I'm honest.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has experienced anything similar?
Sorry you have a sore arm :(
It's down to basic hygiene though isn't it? Make sure you clean your insertion site before you insert the sensor.

Why do you need to go to the hospital? Ring GP say site infected and antibiotics will be issued. Not sure but a pharmacist might be able to issue them as well, not sure what powers they have though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back