Industry-funded study suggests almonds can help prevent heart damage in diabetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Eating almonds is beneficial for those with Type 2 diabetes, according to an Arizona State University study funded by an industry group.

The study, published in Journal of Functional Foods, showed that eating 1.5 ounces of almonds can reduce levels of C reactive protein, which is part of a chain that can lead to heart disease, in people with progressed Type 2 diabetes.

C reactive protein is a marker for inflammation, which indicates a person has a high level of oxidative stress. Inflammation is important to keep in check because it can lead to heart disease, according to Carol Johnston, associate director of ASU’s nutrition program in the School of Nutrition and Health Promotion.

http://www.eacourier.com/news/indus...cle_c6cf16a4-8d45-11e4-a908-ffec5c9256ad.html

Mmmm....marzipan :D

Lol Alan there was me thinking of cakes made with ground almonds and you thinking of marzipan 😉
Have you considered using marzipan to treat your hypos instead of JB's? At least you will get your fix that way :D

Last edited:
Funded by the Almond Board of California. What a surprise....they even had the gall to whinge that the university didn't get the results they really wanted too, according to the report.

Funded by the Almond Board of California.

Ha ha, I'm sure it was a completely objective and unbiased study - maybe they had a control group eating pork scratchings! :D

Funded by the Almond Board of California. What a surprise....they even had the gall to whinge that the university didn't get the results they really wanted too, according to the report.

Apparently they've just had some much needed rain in California and so they're quite keen for there to be a market for their almonds once the harvest is in.

Is anyone still taken in by this kind of rubbish any more?

Andy (mind you, I am quite partial to a large handful of almonds) HB 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back