Indirect discrimination at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosieb2330

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello. I’m in the process of a grievance at work, which has been raised due to a few different issues but one of them is me being denied Diabetes appointments and also asked to change the days to my day off (even though they are appointments to see my consultant who only works certain days). I have had a formal meeting with the owner who said I had to give 3-6 month notice for appointments to allow cover.

In the grievance outcome letter she states “I can guarantee that all time off requests are dealt with using the same method for all employees and therefore no one is favoured or treated differently. “
Am I right in thinking this is indirect discrimination? Advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated!

Hello,

Wow. The experience I’ve had is I get the letter. & inform my employer (I’ve had many jobs. Love a change every couple of years. Sometimes I’ve gone back to a previous employer?)
Anyway, none have ever wished to see the “letter.” They’ve always been great about it. I quite often try if we’re in a “fix” to minimise the amount of time taken out or put a little extra time to claw any lost time back. (To help the “cause.”) where I am now. I’m running my own department. Not by design, the guy I was brought in to help has terminal cancer. I work in an industry That currently has many supply issues making our “deadline” late? So I also appreciate a little “give & take.”

I was lucky this year, I managed to get an appointment with a DSN between Christmas & new year where my workplace was closed?
But.
I’ve had to request an appointment time out totalling 4 hours? (Travel, waiting inclusive with the usual prodding with another duo of DSNs & “Spanish inquisition” from a endo.) when we got back in the new year, quite short notice.

My boss is pretty good and empathises “none of us are getting any younger.” His own wife has cancer too. He also values reliable & proactive staff.

You do need to grab these appointments with both hands as & when available.

But to my mind. & I know what a pain these appointments are to organise.
I believe a little give & take minimising the actual time taken out on both sides might help. Who knows what pressure your boss might also be under.

I hope you find a solution without too much of a clash.

Hello. I’m in the process of a grievance at work, which has been raised due to a few different issues but one of them is me being denied Diabetes appointments and also asked to change the days to my day off (even though they are appointments to see my consultant who only works certain days). I have had a formal meeting with the owner who said I had to give 3-6 month notice for appointments to allow cover.

In the grievance outcome letter she states “I can guarantee that all time off requests are dealt with using the same method for all employees and therefore no one is favoured or treated differently. “
Am I right in thinking this is indirect discrimination? Advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated!
I would ring the DUK helpline on Monday and ask. I would say that they can't refuse to let you go for an appointment but they can refuse to pay you for the time off. I may be wrong so its definitely worth checking with DUK. I'm sure they could give you advice.

If you're not a member of a union I'd always advise a chat with ACAS for any employment issues, especially as you say diabetes is only one of the current issues.

I'm retired now, but performed HR function for my employers when I was in work. For this purpose T1 diabetes is classed as a "disability" and as such your employer is required to "make reasonable adjustments". Not treat you like everyone else as she states. Employers do get "brownie points" for employing disabled people. See the ACAS website https://www.acas.org.uk/reasonable-adjustments. In particular it says:
It's not enough for employers to provide disabled people with exactly the same working conditions as non-disabled people. Employers must make reasonable adjustments by law.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having with getting time off for appointments @rosieb2330 :(

I agree that calling the DUK helpline (Mon-Fri 9-6) might be helpful. They should be able to clarify your rights and responsibilities at work, and what reasonable adjustments you might expect your employer to make to help you.

Hope you are able to make progress towards a satisfactory outcome with the company.

The owner who said I had to give 3-6 month notice for appointments to allow cover.
3-6 months! Are they off on a world wide cruise?

Probably the same type of person that wouldn't hold the door open for you or let you out of a side road.

Unfortunately, you will come across this type of attitude through your whole life. Fortunately, the law is on your side, they just don't know this yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back