Increased risk of diabetes and heart disease for less well-off Glaswegians...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
...could be in their DNA

NEW research has shown that the health of the most deprived Glaswegians could be impaired before they are even born.
Scientists has discovered that Glasgow's most deprived residents are more likely to have an increased chance of developing diabetes and cardiovascular disease later in life as part of their DNA, than their more affluent counterparts.
Experts from Glasgow University's College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences and the Glasgow Centre for Population Health examined blood samples of 239 people and found significant differences in levels of methylation in the DNA of people from different ends of the socio-economic spectrum.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/h...wegians-could-be-in-their-dna-86908-23713764/

...could be in their DNA

NEW research has shown that the health of the most deprived Glaswegians could be impaired before they are even born.
Scientists has discovered that Glasgow's most deprived residents are more likely to have an increased chance of developing diabetes and cardiovascular disease later in life as part of their DNA, than their more affluent counterparts.
Experts from Glasgow University's College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences and the Glasgow Centre for Population Health examined blood samples of 239 people and found significant differences in levels of methylation in the DNA of people from different ends of the socio-economic spectrum.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/h...wegians-could-be-in-their-dna-86908-23713764/

Both my parents were born in Scotland, my dad from the Gorbals and my mum from a reasonably well off family in a village not to faraway . My dad is still alive, but my mum died at 76 from heart failure, and neither had diabetes even though it is on my mum's side of the family, the more well off side !!! Sheena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back