Inaccurate readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midgie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I just did a post lunch test which was lower than pre lunch so I repeated it and it was 1mmol different (higher) is this a thing? It going to get a bit pricey if I have to double check every time!

Hi I just did a post lunch test which was lower than pre lunch so I repeated it and it was 1mmol different (higher) is this a thing? It going to get a bit pricey if I have to double check every time!
Sure, that can happen. There have been lots of threads on this, but a summary is that we can't expect these tests to be all that accurate. Although it might say "5.3", take that as "about 5", and you can expect if you take a reading from your other hand (or another finger) you might well get a different reading (though that should also be "about 5", most of the time).

In my experience, it varies depending on the meter. I have one that gives very close readings if I do another test on a different finger. Another one I have can be way out. The two I have tried that are most consistent were somewhat more expensive, though, and the strips are more expensive! One of them claims to be 8% out from a lab test. Generally gives results that differ by around .3 or .4 on different fingers.

I just really look at the big number.

They are more accurate if the actual BG is < 5.6

Last edited:
It would be quite possible for your 2 hour after lunch reading to be lower depending on what you ate and what activity you did in the two hours. Really the readings are just the same and within the accuracy of your monitor.
The need to retest would only be necessary if the reading was abnormally high or low or if you felt unwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back