In support of our HCPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
There are frequently threads, understandably, expressing frustration with the care we receive whether it is from doctors or pharmacists or nurses. But I have always been of the opinion that very very few people turn up to work intending to do a bad job. They are all working it a very challenging environment.

So, I thought it might be nice to start a thread about the positive experiences we have received from our health care providers.
I started thinking this would be diabetes related, but I guess it doesn't have to be'.

Just a chance to justifiably respond to the adage from my mother: "if you don't have anything positive to say, don't say anything"

So, I will start and thank my DSN who I have been seeing for 20 years. Throughout that time, she has given me nothing but support and positivity (more of the first things she told me that I continue to keep in mind it "diabetes should not stop you doing what you want"). She always responds to random emails and, although I only see her once a year, she remembers me and my own challenges (like, how do you manage BG whilst climbing?) and thinks of me when I am not attending an appointment such as offering to allow me to be the clinic's Medtrum pump guinea pig.

Now over to you.

Last edited:
The diabetes dietician at the hospital. Her name is always written on the letter so that I know it’s the same person each time.

The diabetes consultant at the hospital too. It’s not always been an easy relationship with the hospital as I had a couple of appointments with a registrar which didn’t go too well. But the consultant always seems to understand me and my need for consistency and difficulties with change / people I don’t know and agreed a way forwards that I can manage.

Helli hello.
I too am very grateful to my SDN who listens, advises and introduces me to new tech which I happily give feed-back on.
We've been together for the last 12 years or so and have been very happy.
My local GP has very little understanding of diabetes and leaves it all to the diabetic nurses, probably a good thing.

Last edited:
All my DSNs. They’ve been patient, empathetic and very helpful over the years. A particular thanks to my pregnancy DSN who reassured me a number of times; popped in to the labour suite to check how I was doing during labour; and then came up to the ward where I was with my baby just to congratulate me and say Hello.

Also, my consultant who’s friendly, kind and treats me as an equal when we discuss treatment options. She is lovely.

I've had nothing but excellent support from my GP team with my diabetes and I cannot fault them at all. The GP I've seen is of course a GP but he has a specialty in diabetes so knows his stuff. The nurses has always been excellent as well. The only clash I've had was when one nurse wanted to start me on Metformin just because it was the diabetes 'go to' drug of choice. It was my decision to say 'no' and they didn't push it.

I'm currently backwards and forwards to the GP with menopause issues (horrendous hot flushes) and slowly working my way through various treatments! I've seen the same doctor every time up to now and she's been very supportive and helpful.

Lovely thread xx

I'm unusual for a Type 1 in that I haven't seen a consultant or hospital-based DSN since 1999 (when I was told on attempting to change an appointment that fell during my honeymoon in April that I couldn't have another until October!) Since then I've seen GPs, surgery based diabetes nurses and the occasional Community Diabetes Nurse and they've all been great. But there is a special place in my heart for the lovely M, my first GP-based nurse, who was always encouraging, pragmatic, sympathetic and most importantly recognised that I knew me best!

I can't fault the diabetes team where I am, nothing but care and attention to details from all of them. GPs have been good at getting me referred and things too. All helped to put me more at ease and focus on getting things under control 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back