In General need of help and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa

Relationship to Diabetes
Gestational
Hi all I have only just registered to this so its all new. I became diabetic when i was pregnant with my first child back in 1999, I was put on metformin tablets and seemed to fall through the hospital system for a few years until I became pregnant with my second child in 2002 and was instantly put on insulin. I seem to cope with that for a while but over the last few months or if I am truthful probably year(s) I seem to be having a real problem controlling my blood sugars or even remembering to check them. I have a really hectic lifestyle with two young children and working full time and feel that i have become in denial of the fact that I have diabetes and hope that it will just go away if i ignore it. I know this is really silly but has anybody else felt like this and if so what can i do.

Hi Lisa,

Oh i hear you girl.....i was in denial too......kept thinking they had got it wrong......best advice i can give you is accept it for what it is.

Its the only way to go pet.

I sometimes find myself in the same situation as you Lisa - I was diagnosed type 2 in early September which was a bit of a shock. I've adjusted my diet and started to exercise again but as I am only urine testing and have had no positive readings (I even ate a jam doughnut as I thought the sticks weren't working) it's easy to think I don't need to do anything. But then I remind myself that I am diabetic and it wont ever go away - and if I want to go to my grave with my feet on then I'd better start looking after myself just that little bit more. I can understand that it's hard with 2 little ones but you do need to take care of yourself.

See your grandkids!

if I want to go to my grave with my feet on then I'd better start looking after myself just that little bit more.
Corrine this is my quote of the week - and a brilliant summary of what happens when you don't look after yourself - really made me laugh!

Lisa - I agree with Corrine - and at the end of the day - you do want to be around to see your grandchildren - !! Unfortunately it doesn't go away - but having it does not stop you leading a busy full and productive life - you fit it in with your life rather than fit your life into it...

I'd never even broken a bone before I was diagnosed in Jan of this year. I cried for weeks about it and some bad days I still do. I think most people with it will say they still wish they didnt have it which I find makes me feel more comforted. Plus on here your really not alone.

I did the whole shock...anger...denial thing and spent the weekend after I was diagnosed (I was diagnosed on a Thursday) feeling very sorry for myself - especially after I had spent 2 days on the Internet finding out as much about it as I could - including the complications). But on the positive side I am running again (half marathon in Feb), I am eating healthier than I ever have done in the past and I have discovered this board which helps enormously! And I am determined to do all I can to make sure I keep myself intact.

It was not a surprise when I was diagnosed, I had suspected it for some time. Sometimes I find it hard to cope and wish I had a shoulder to cry on. I was diagnosed in 2006. My friend had a major accident and two children died, then my mum had an operation for breast cancer. In amongst all this my husband and I were jumping through hoops with social services because we were adopting a little boy. Around this time my mum was arranging a big family party which I just didn't feel up to going to on my own, my hubby and grown up son are not party animals, so there was a huge falling out over that. The little lad we adopted came to live with us in March 2007. More recently our childminder let us down very badly and we are having to be flexible with our time in order to provide childcare full time.

It is hard work, and when I have worked a full day, plus a couple of extra hours to earn a little more leave, I am exhausted, but a hug on the sofa with a cup of tea makes it all worth while. We are looking forward to August when hubby retires and we can do more with our time.

Sorry this is not in the form of advice, we all need to make a little time for ourselves whenever we can. I always try to stick to a routine and enjoy childhood while I can.🙄

It was not a surprise when I was diagnosed, I had suspected it for some time. Sometimes I find it hard to cope and wish I had a shoulder to cry on. I was diagnosed in 2006. My friend had a major accident and two children died, then my mum had an operation for breast cancer. In amongst all this my husband and I were jumping through hoops with social services because we were adopting a little boy. Around this time my mum was arranging a big family party which I just didn't feel up to going to on my own, my hubby and grown up son are not party animals, so there was a huge falling out over that. The little lad we adopted came to live with us in March 2007. More recently our childminder let us down very badly and we are having to be flexible with our time in order to provide childcare full time.

It is hard work, and when I have worked a full day, plus a couple of extra hours to earn a little more leave, I am exhausted, but a hug on the sofa with a cup of tea makes it all worth while. We are looking forward to August when hubby retires and we can do more with our time.

Sorry this is not in the form of advice, we all need to make a little time for ourselves whenever we can. I always try to stick to a routine and enjoy childhood while I can.🙄
poor you, it sounds like you've had a terrible time of it!! try to think possitive and look forward to the future. Diabetes does'nt have to ruin your life, unless you let it. you seem to have a very supportive husband, who is there to help you through the good times and the bad, you are a lucky lady not everybody has that. You must both be very caring people to make such a difference to that little boys life by making him a part of your family. if ever you need help or advice there is are some great people here to talk to, or just have a little moan. hope you have a healthy and happy xmas and newyear.

Thank you for the support. It has been a traumatic, stressfull time, but I got through it. It helps to off load things and this site is perfecr for that. We all have our problems, but at least here we are not alone. My manager is also very supportive and there are a few of us in my office who are extra sweet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back