Imsulin dosage query

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanibanani79

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
This might be a daft question but I've had my 100units/ml Humalog changed to 200units/ml and I've moved to Toujeo 300units/ml from Abasaglar 100units/ml

They were changed as i felt i was having to take a huge volume of insulin (2 injections, 4 x a day) Diabetes nurse had told me to still take the same amount as I was.

Is this right? Can I just not get my head around how this works ‍

If you are using prefilled pens then you would dial up the same number dose on the pen as normal but less insulin will come out. Read the leaflet carefully as it should verify whether this is correct.

If you are using cartridges and vials then the above is not true as you may need to change what you would dial up. Read the leaflet carefully and get your DSN to go through it with you until you understand and are confident before switching.

Hi all
This might be a daft question but I've had my 100units/ml Humalog changed to 200units/ml and I've moved to Toujeo 300units/ml from Abasaglar 100units/ml

They were changed as i felt i was having to take a huge volume of insulin (2 injections, 4 x a day) Diabetes nurse had told me to still take the same amount as I was.

Is this right? Can I just not get my head around how this works ‍
Non typical (e.g not 100iu) units usually come in a special kwik pen to avoid any misunderstanding and over dose etc.

You basically get twice, so only half as much volume is required to achieve same dosage.

See patient leaflet here.

Attachments

If you are using prefilled pens then you would dial up the same number dose on the pen as normal but less insulin will come out
Do you mean less liquid will come out? I believe it’s the same amount of insulin, but suspended in a reduced amount of liquid.

Do you mean less liquid will come out? I believe it’s the same amount of insulin, but suspended in a reduced amount of liquid.
Yes but was keeping it simple for the OP as in normal conversation we refer to the stuff that comes out of the insulin pen as just “insulin” not as “insulin suspended in liquid”

Yes but was keeping it simple for the OP as in normal conversation we refer to the stuff that comes out of the insulin pen as just “insulin” not as “insulin suspended in liquid”
The whole thing is so fraught with misinterpretation that no wonder people get confused! I was thinking someone might read this in the future, and think, 'but it says you get less insulin'

The whole thing is so fraught with misinterpretation that no wonder people get confused! I was thinking someone might read this in the future, and think, 'but it says you get less insulin'
Partly why it's so important to take the white part of prescriptions if you are abroad. The pharmacist will ask which strength of insulin you use should you need extra.

It’s just extra concentrated insulin. Like double concentrated squash.

It’s just extra concentrated insulin. Like double concentrated squash.
So shouldn't that mean I take less units of it?

I was taking 57units of Abasaglar 100 and I've been told to take the same units of Tougeo 300

Sorry if I'm still not getting it!

I was taking 57units of Abasaglar 100 and I've been told to take the same units of Tougeo 300

You dial up the same number on the pen, the extra concentrated part is already accounted for if it is a prefilled pen.

You dial up the same number on the pen, the extra concentrated part is already accounted for if it is a prefilled pen.
That's what I wasn't sure of so I was thinking I'm going to be getting far too much. The reason I was changed onto new kwikpens is to reduce the amount of insulin I've to inject.

This whole insulin thing is still so confusing to me, 6 months later and my readings are worse than ever!

Thanks for the replies x

"So shouldn't that mean I take less units of it?"

You are actually quite right in what you say, but, but that is on the basis that you just changed from a 100iu vial to a 300iu vial using the "same" old pen. If you did use the same old (designed for 100iu insulin) pen then yes, you are quite right you would require less volume/units, but with a new pen specifically designed for a stronger insulin they have already adjusted the volumes for each unit.

As @Lucyr said, think of it as double/triple strength orange concentrate compared to typical strength. You will require less concentrate, but it will still taste the same (does the same job as before).

The thing to remember is that yes you do still require the same number of units, but the unit sizes have been designed to suit the strength of the insulin in the new higher strength pen.

It is really confusing when you change strengths, but this is all catered for in the new pen. Just stick to the same units, it all works out nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back