improving fitness levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

bex123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hi all , daft question i know but i want some ideas on improving my fitness levels ( when my flu goes away ) im 8st 2 and 5ft 4 but i am sooo unfit , i have probs with high impact stuff because of nueropathy and i have problems with my knees ( they dislocate ) any ideas of non high impact sport that i could do to improve my fitness levels? , i also cannot do any sport that requires quick turning eg. tennis badminton etc because of my knees , i know yoga is good but doesnt really increase my heart rate that much

I think pilates is supposed to be a bit more harcore than yoga?

At the moment I'm using my mum's Wii fit every day to do a yoga programme and some other fitness exercises, none of them are hugely strenuous but do get my heart rate going (and cause my BG levels to drop quickly if I'm not careful).

This might be a good one to put to your GP, or if your team have a sport-y type person?

I was always told swimming was great for being gentle on the joints while brilliant for getting you fit. Many pools have different sessions for different types (no kids/women only etc etc)

I was going to suggest swimming, or what about cycling? That shouldn't put too much pressure on your knees I would have thought. I have just decided I need to increase my fitness ready for the next football season and have just been out for a bike ride.

Hello Bex i broke my neck in a diving accident back in 1984 , i go to the gym 3 times a week and 1 of the instructors suggested pilates (which i havent tried yet ) and cycling or swimming, swimming is good cos it supports ur weight better and puts less stress on your joints etc, you could also try tai chi which is none impact too 🙂

hey
everyone has already suggested both of these already i'll i'll join in. swimming and cycling. I have problems with my knees and i find with swimming you can push yoursewlf as much or as little as you need. swim slower, different strokes, spending different lengths of times in the pool etc- set your own targets. cycling is free which is great but it is tough on the knees so be careful. and then the main thing is join a gym. they have all sorts of machines and exercises that they can advice you on to build up the strength in your muscles as well as getting your general fitness up.

this last one might seem obvious but try walking more. swap the lift and take the stairs, walk to the shops son't take the car. every little bit helps and its amazing the difference just walking makes.
hope that helps🙂

I bought a swiss ball last week for ?3.33 in Tesco, and I'm finding it great fun! I do some exercises out of a magazine I had, and it's really hard work but I like it. Apparently it's good to just sit on it as well as it helps your back and core muscles as you have to keep your balance.

I would have thought that swimming was the ideal one.

I find that rowing is a nice one and gives a more rounded work-out than cycling (but all that back a forth might be a bit much for your knees?).

Andy 🙂

thanks for all the replys guys 🙂 definatley going to start swimming i like the idea of that one although will only be able to do 1 hr stints coz i dont like to have the pump off for more than and hr , but a couple of times a week is totally manageable 🙂 like the idea about cycling too ( will have to go and buy a bike ) lol , i live in the forest so i could go for a ride and explore 🙂

Lots of people find tai chi a good start, it helps to improve balance and co -ordination and has lots of slow gentle movements. If you are worried about joints, it is quite low impact, and there is a seated version if you'd prefer it. I use the website www.taichiforarthritis.com

What about aqua aerobics? I love it! And it is not too much pressure on your joints. Our local council owned gym offers "easy excercise" classes as well so you could maybe check that out. As others have suggested ask for a GP referral. Good luck x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back