Immunotherapy induced diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbmep

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
I posted a thread on Newbies about my husband who has immunotherapy induced diabetes (insulin dependant ), having a bit of a moan that he couldn't get on a DAFNE Course as he wasn't a 'proper' T1. Since then, his C-Peptide results have come back and he is producing b****r all endogenous insulin so his GP referred him, and he has been accepted! Result! Plus he has been transferred to a consultant at the big County Hospital from the one at the District hospital who clearly had no idea what she was talking about. Double result! On the downside, Covid and then a dental abcess has sent his BG wild and he has taking insulin like crazy, but we move forward.🙂🙂

Good news @mbmep Well, not the lack of insulin but the fact he’s been transferred to better care.

Great success then! - and jolly well done your GP!

Dental abscesses are never actually a pain in the a*** itself, but they are very debilitating hence you need to invest in a rechargeable battery operated toothbrush asap and actually use it diligently twice daily henceforth for ever more. Once the toothypegs are 'Omo white' in the first place, yes it sometimes seems like overkill BUT .......

Hand brushing them for long periods just doesn't do a good enough job. Dental health is a double edged sword to those of us with diabetes, as your husband has now had rudely demonstrated to him. It makes you feel like crap in the first place and is never good for anyone - without also needing to use industrial amounts of insulin and knowing it isn't brill for your HbA1c anyway.

I very sincerely hope you've got an approachable dentist, because they can honestly be your best mate with stuff like this - and I've been lucky to get that help both years ago when you could just take yourself to Birmingham Dental School and access really expert help pronto - (as every single move made by the students was minutely overseen by the teaching professors) and also currently with a - still NHS! - normal dentist.

Great success then! - and jolly well done your GP!

Dental abscesses are never actually a pain in the a*** itself, but they are very debilitating hence you need to invest in a rechargeable battery operated toothbrush asap and actually use it diligently twice daily henceforth for ever more. Once the toothypegs are 'Omo white' in the first place, yes it sometimes seems like overkill BUT .......

Hand brushing them for long periods just doesn't do a good enough job. Dental health is a double edged sword to those of us with diabetes, as your husband has now had rudely demonstrated to him. It makes you feel like crap in the first place and is never good for anyone - without also needing to use industrial amounts of insulin and knowing it isn't brill for your HbA1c anyway.

I very sincerely hope you've got an approachable dentist, because they can honestly be your best mate with stuff like this - and I've been lucky to get that help both years ago when you could just take yourself to Birmingham Dental School and access really expert help pronto - (as every single move made by the students was minutely overseen by the teaching professors) and also currently with a - still NHS! - normal dentist.
He has been using an electric toothbrush for years and also has had private dental care for years also. No NHS dentist at all round where we live. He just has crap teeth I'm afraid. Every crown he has ever had has given him problems so they have been gradually taken out over the years. The abcess was on a crowned tooth also so it has gone and yet another false tooth will be put on his denture. His HBA1c will look terrible but we know why and it isn't down to poor general management so that's not a concern really. The HBA1c is just a tool, not an end in itself in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back