Im worried! Low sugars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyJMart

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in September. I always struggled with my sugars but since u have lost 3 Stone and still at it. I eat well as well as taking metformin and ozempic... however regarding all that my sugars have always been better 6... to atleast 9. I bought a new machine yesterday and started testing my sugars. It seems my lowest is 4ml and I'm struggling to go above 6.... Now, I thought that was okay.. however I felt funny.. I spoke to my nurse and she's worried about them being so low... I just want to know if this has happened to anyone else before... could it be my machine or? I've just eaten half a bar of chocolate to see what my numbers will be in an hour or so... I'm actually worried...

Hi, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in September. I always struggled with my sugars but since u have lost 3 Stone and still at it. I eat well as well as taking metformin and ozempic... however regarding all that my sugars have always been better 6... to atleast 9. I bought a new machine yesterday and started testing my sugars. It seems my lowest is 4ml and I'm struggling to go above 6.... Now, I thought that was okay.. however I felt funny.. I spoke to my nurse and she's worried about them being so low... I just want to know if this has happened to anyone else before... could it be my machine or? I've just eaten half a bar of chocolate to see what my numbers will be in an hour or so... I'm actually worried...
Did it come with a bottle of test glucose solution? My meter did, if so, you can test to seevif its giving an appropriate reading. Also try a different pot of test strips to see if its a dodgy batch

Did it come with a bottle of test glucose solution? My meter did, if so, you can test to seevif its giving an appropriate reading. Also try a different pot of test strips to see if its a dodgy batch
No it didn't but then none of my past meters have, even the one I got from my nurse.

What testing meter are you using? Some of them seem to give a low reading if there’s not enough blood on the strip.

I can't get hold of my strips for the contour plus meter so I brought a vivachek ino meter. Those straps don't fit into my contour

I've just taken my bloods after half a bar of chocolate and it says 5.2ml there is no way that is accurate.

You can buy the Contour strips online if you can’t source them locally or maybe see if you can get them ordered into store. If this has just started with your new meter, it looks like that might be the issue possibly.

Remember that chocolate is usually lowish GI so might not put your blood sugar up right away.

You can buy the Contour strips online if you can’t source them locally or maybe see if you can get them ordered into store. If this has just started with your new meter, it looks like that might be the issue possibly.

Remember that chocolate is usually lowish GI so might not put your blood sugar up right away.
oh really I didn't know that about chocolate. I did look online for the contour strips but looks as though I'm gonna have to have a thorough look! thanks.

Both of those monitors do seem to have expensive test strips but the price of all the test strips does seem to have gone up in price recently even the cheaper ones for the GlucoNavii which used to be the cheapest by far.
But they are available from Amazon.

Yep, the fat in chocolate slows down the blood sugar rise. I just googled and some of the online chemists have Contour strips.

Yep, the fat in chocolate slows down the blood sugar rise. I just googled and some of the online chemists have Contour strips.
I've just found them on amazon! I must of even searching something different. I've ordered them now so hoping these work..... it's either the Machine or they are my readings... I have just moved up to 1ml of ozempic too so don't know if that has had an impact.

I've just taken my bloods after half a bar of chocolate and it says 5.2ml there is no way that is accurate.
Why isn't it accurate? Chocolate is very high fat so takes forever and a day to raise blood sugars hence why it's not recommended for treating hypos. 🙂
The fact you have lost weight will lower your numbers and as you said you felt funny it was probably due to a low blood sugar.

Be interesting to see if there are general differences between the brands of meters once you have the Contour strips @EmilyJMart . Though expensive, Contour XT are recognised as one of the most reliably accurate strip technologies.

While 4-6 is a little near the edge, there’s nothing inherently bad with those readings though - they just don’t give much wiggle room!

If both meters agree, and you are consistently reading towards the bottom of your target range, perhaps your nurse will consider adjusting your dose?

Last edited:
Be interesting to see if there are general differences between the brands of meters once you have the Contour strips @EmilyJMart . Though expensive, Contour XT are recognised as one of the most reliably accurate strip technologies.

While 4-6 is a little near the edge, there’s nothing inherently bad with those readings though - they just don’t give much wiggle room!

If both meters agree, and you are consistently reading towards the bottom of your target range, perhaps your nurse will consider adjusting your dose?
when I recieve my strips tomorrow I wl definitely be comparing and updating on here. I'm also going for a blood test tomorrow to get my sugars reviewed after being diagnosed... my sugars before were 88 which I believe is double to recommended. Fingers crossed for lower results xx

when I recieve my strips tomorrow I wl definitely be comparing and updating on here. I'm also going for a blood test tomorrow to get my sugars reviewed after being diagnosed... my sugars before were 88 which I believe is double to recommended. Fingers crossed for lower results xx
Below 42mmol/mol is non diabetic, 42-47 prediabetic and 48 and over diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back