I'm not Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemgem

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. Last week I nearly hit rock bottom with my work.
I had a Hypo at 0500 hrs, whilst lying on the floor the duty nurse called me 'simple'. This has destroyed me, I can't get it out of my head. Do you think I'm over reacting?

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. Last week I nearly hit rock bottom with my work.
I had a Hypo at 0500 hrs, whilst lying on the floor the duty nurse called me 'simple'. This has destroyed me, I can't get it out of my head. Do you think I'm over reacting?
No, I don’t think you are overacting at all.

I would raise with HR. Maybe call the diabetes UK hotline first, they are experts on this stuff.

What a horrible thing for someone to say. Hope your okay

No you're not over reacting, I'd be furious to be honest and as @PhoebeC says above raise it with HR, if no HR with a manager, its a horrible thing for anyone to say, but its horrible and unprofessional of a nurse to comment in that way.
Hope you're ok!

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I am so sorry you had such an upsetting incident. Hypos are bad enough without people not just being unsympathetic but downright ignorant by the sound of it. This week is Hypo awareness week and this "duty nurse" is clearly one of the medical professionals who need educating by it.

Whilst still a small child my niece was unwell with what turned out to be meningitis. She has Turners Syndrome.
The consultant must have assumed that she was mentally subnormal and hardly looked at her on his rounds. When my sister went in to be with her, there was never anyone in the room, and she was suspicious about the care being given, so next day she arrived early to interrogate the consultant and took in photos of her daughter to show the nursing staff.
If faced with an angry tiger or my sister - take your chance with the tiger.
Suddenly there were tests being done, a correct diagnosis and treatment started, and the nurses were in almost constant attendance.
The details of that time are etched into my sister's memory, and she was sure that they'd have not looked after a 'sub normal' child as well as the one photographed running around on holiday.
Sometimes assumptions have to be challenged with some ferocity - and deservedly so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back