I'm Getting Really Scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi it's me again. I am having a foot assessment on Monday and after finding out I have background retinopathy (spelling) I'm scared I have neuropathy as well. I was only diagnosed in May of this year with a fasting blood glucose of 7.1. I have read that people with background retinopathy have usually had diabetes for a long time is it possible that I have had it for years and not known about it. I had absolutely no symptoms whatsoever. I have been reading about neuropathy and have convinced myself that my little toe is slightly numb although I think it has been like this since I had sciatica a few years ago. I am really scared that I may have had diabetes for years and there has been damage caused already. I am diet controlled at the moment.:(

I have 'mild diabetic changes' in my eyes, and have had diabetes for almost 14 years. However, don't worry! If you do have some form of diabetic changes, it will very likely be mild and not need treating. Chances are you won't have any problems at all.

Regarding the nueropathy, a few months ago I convinced myself I had it too. However, if your HBA1C is good then there should be no need to get so worried about it.

Don't worry, you'll be fine 🙂

Hi Sebstar,

Firstly, try not to get yourself uptight and worried. It is easy to assume the worst and panic but it is just a case of wait and see. The doctors carry out a thorough test bwfore reaching any conclusion and in some cases what they find isn't a worry. With me they identified that I have no reflex action in one ankle. When I asked what that was caused by I was told it was just something that some people had and nothing to worry about.

As for the time before being diagnosed I was told by my diagnosis doctor that on a lot of cases people can have been suffering from diagnosis for upto 7 years before being diagnosed.

Hope it all goes ok for you.

Andy

Hi Sebstar, first of all do not worry about the foot examination - it is a pretty straightforward affair - they will test for sensitivity, check your pulse and also for any injuries or potential problems like corns, blisters etc.

I have had a periodic numbness and occasional pain in my big toes since I was diagnosed. When I had my examination earlier this year they found nothing wrong at all, so please don't start thinking the worst - things have to go an awful lot further before you need to start worrying about neuropathy. You may simply have become more aware of these sensations since you were diagnosed - non-diabetics do suffer from this too, so it may have nothing to do with your diabetes. Even if it is related, your diagnosis means that you can improve the situation and it's not just going to get worse from now on - it can actually recover and get better!

Let us know how things go, and try to stay positive. There are a lot of alarming thoughts going through your mind at the moment, and this is entirely understandable, but in time I think you will become less worried, as I have.

Thank you so much for your replies they have calmed me down a bit. I just feel that diabetes is all I think about at the moment and I'm getting into a state about it. I'll try not to worry so much.😱

hi sebstar i cant add to what has been said but please keep calm as northenr said it is preety much a simple test , please let us all know how it goes x x relax

I agree with the others, don't worry. Easier said than done thoe. If you are really worried it is always good to seek re assurance from your doctor.

My husband has sciatica and sometimes his toes go numb, usually helped by a gentle foot massage.

Sometimes the diabetes seems to rule our lives, but once you have a routine with it and feel you are more in control, you will feel better. There are lots of people who will help, especially your doctor and practice nurses and us here onthe forums.

Thank you so much for your replies they have calmed me down a bit. I just feel that diabetes is all I think about at the moment and I'm getting into a state about it. I'll try not to worry so much.😱

So sorry to hear you have joined our "club". Just wanted to say that it does take time to learn to live with diabetes and get beyond the stage where it is all you think about. My automatic reaction to anything that goes awry with my body is that it must be the diabetes and, like you, I have a numb toe. That numbness has been with me since about 1980 when I injured my back lifting a patient but come the "D" word 17 years later I went into an anxious period that it was neuropathy! Getting your feet checked out is important though and, in my experience, far less unpleasant than the eye drops for the retinal screening and I hate having my feet touched

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back