im delivering a presentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emzi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
At work we hold bi-monthly meetings for businesses to come and learn things about health in a hope they will take the knowledge back into their workplace in a bid to improve the staffs wellbeing.

Last time we did fit-back where we had an interactive workshop using the fit balls and this time we are doing stress management AND i have been asked to do a presentation to increase peoples awareness on diabetes 😱. Its a bit nerve wracking coz i am BY FAR fully knowledgeable about everything to do with diabetes but they have asked if i will do a small presentation and talk about personal experiences too so they can go back into there workplace and be a little more clued up for any member of staff that may be a diabetic.

We are also doing abit of theatrical role play :D

Reason im mentioning it is if anyone has any ideas etc on what to include will be great, ive used diabetes uk for most of my info and of course me for personal anecdotes

Print off some leaflets for our forum too. Nothing like a little advetising in the right places. Maybe even take a list of suggested reading and other places where they can get reliable information.

Good luck with the presentation, I'm sure you will wow them.

Hello,

Not sure if this will be helpful or not, but we've had good feedback about this video we've got on Youtube. It's a "what is diabetes" thing, but at 8 minutes might be a bit too long for what you've got in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHRfDTqPzj4

Just thought I'd mention it just in case it was of use!

Good luck!

Joe

Hi Emzi, I think it would be good to start off by explaining that there are two main types and giving a general description of both (Type 1, faster onset, need insulin straightaway; Type 2 insulin insufficiency or resistance, may be treated with diet and exercise or tablets - but may need insulin later). Stress that the effect for both types is that the body can't regulate glucose levels in the blood properly. Then I'd talk about the nasties - the complications that can occur if diabetes remains undiagnosed or not managed properly: eye, heart, kidney and limb problems.

I think I would then talk about the myths surrounding diabetes - it's not caused by eating sugar, and sugar isn't even the worst thing to eat (white bread is worse, as it has a higher glycaemic index (GI)), not all diabetics are overweight, you can't catch it from others, insulin isn't a cure, diabetics can climb mountains, run marathons, drive cars etc. - they just need to take extra care of themselves, they don't need special 'diabetic' diets, just sensible healthy eating.

Maybe explain what diabetes management entails - working out what foods are OK for you as an individual, taking account of exercise, weather, illness etc. when deciding insulin doses, and how that is the hard part - the injections are just an inconvenience (unless you're needle phobic!).

Just some ideas! Hope it goes well - when is it? 🙂

Hello,

Not sure if this will be helpful or not, but we've had good feedback about this video we've got on Youtube. It's a "what is diabetes" thing, but at 8 minutes might be a bit too long for what you've got in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHRfDTqPzj4

Just thought I'd mention it just in case it was of use!

Good luck!

Joe

Thanks Joe That video is really good 🙂

Hi Emzi, I think it would be good to start off by explaining that there are two main types and giving a general description of both (Type 1, faster onset, need insulin straightaway; Type 2 insulin insufficiency or resistance, may be treated with diet and exercise or tablets - but may need insulin later). Stress that the effect for both types is that the body can't regulate glucose levels in the blood properly. Then I'd talk about the nasties - the complications that can occur if diabetes remains undiagnosed or not managed properly: eye, heart, kidney and limb problems.

I think I would then talk about the myths surrounding diabetes - it's not caused by eating sugar, and sugar isn't even the worst thing to eat (white bread is worse, as it has a higher glycaemic index (GI)), not all diabetics are overweight, you can't catch it from others, insulin isn't a cure, diabetics can climb mountains, run marathons, drive cars etc. - they just need to take extra care of themselves, they don't need special 'diabetic' diets, just sensible healthy eating.

Maybe explain what diabetes management entails - working out what foods are OK for you as an individual, taking account of exercise, weather, illness etc. when deciding insulin doses, and how that is the hard part - the injections are just an inconvenience (unless you're needle phobic!).

Just some ideas! Hope it goes well - when is it? 🙂

Thanks

Thats everything thats in my presentation so its made me feel better ive included all the right stuff! Its on friday 😱

Thanks 🙂

Your presentation is sure to be a success. Good luck.

Thanks

Thats everything thats in my presentation so its made me feel better ive included all the right stuff! Its on friday 😱

Thanks 🙂

Great minds think alike! 🙂 Hope it all goes well Emzi - just be yourself and talk as though you were educating a group of interested friends. 🙂 People might be quite surprised by what they learn - might also be a good idea at the end of your talk to ask if there are any questions.

I actually want to be there when you give the presentation....

Good Luck......

I think potential employers of diabetics might want to know about how it will effect the running of the business, although a basic understanding of the condition should come first.

They should be made aware of what is required of them and there staff working with diabetics....

And its job specific, only a handful of people know about my condition as I am mainly office based.

In a warehouse however I would assume that mostly everyone should be aware of someone who is diabetic and signs to look for....

Look forward to hearing how it goes

In addition to what's already been said, I would give a bit of history eg before discovery of insulin 1920s, diabetes was a death sentence; more recent developments include more drugs for type 2s; better insulin delivery devices - glass syringes, then disposable, then pen devices, then pumps etc; blood glucose monitoring meters getting smaller & faster; better control (largey by people with diabetes themselves) leading to less (but not nil) risk of complications. That way, you'll challenge any views / knowledge based on "aunty doris" with her glas syringes and amputated leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back