I'm confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
So 2 weeks ago I got my hbac1 back as 58 , the Dn agreed I can try and make changes in the next 3 months before looking at meds.
But I think I might have over done the diet change because yesterday my bloods were 3.9. Then after some peanut butter 3.4
So I had some toast and it can up to 4.5.
It left me feeling completely confused. As a type 2 not on meds I didn't think this could happen, or have I just cut my carbs to low to quick??
Anyone else experienced this?

Hi, that was a similar hba1c to mine on diagnosis and it took me many months to get out the teens with my blood sugar even in very low carb, However my type is unknown.
Those reading are on the low side particularly after toast. How often do you test and what are the timings of your test? Was your hba1c repeated? Have you ever seen high numbers on your meter if so what were the highest ?
Silly question but has your iron been checked? Low iron can falsely raise hba1c but there will be no corresponding rise in finger prick

Hi Emma my highest reading 2 weeks ago was 12 always tested 2 hrs after eating .
The low ones yesterday were in the middle of the day, I had only had a salad but no carbs . I didn't think I should be able to go that low.
No my hbac1 won't be done again til June.
I've really cut my carbs over the last 2 weeks and all my 2 HR post eating readings have averaged in the 5 and 6s
Not thought about iron, I might up my eggs and cress.

A couple of things about meters and low readings.
Meters are only required to be within 10-15% accuracy, so a reading of 3.5 can actually be 4, and vice versa. Because of this people with diabetes are told to keep their Bgs above 4, to allow a safety margin. But it’s quite usual for someone without diabetes to find that their blood glucose is anything down to 3.5. It’s only below this level that the human body gets into difficulties.(There's research been done on non-diabetic people, using more accurate venous samples, I think)

It is suggested that people don't cut their carb intake suddenly but do it more gradually over a period of a few weeks as they will be less likely to get issues with their eyes and nerves as the body adjusts to lower blood glucose levels.
So cutting down from what you were having by one third for a couple of weeks, then another third until you get to where you need or want to be.
If you are a bit low than a small amount of fast acting carb like full sugar coke or a jelly baby rather than something slower like toast or fatty like peanut butter. Toast and jam would probably be an OK option.

Thanks for that all makes sense,
Also my eyes have been playing up since cutting the carbs. Think I need less panic and a more gradual approach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back