Im a mum who needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

LackjackO

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My son has had type 1 for 24 years and when he was first diagnosed we were led to believe its not the end of the world.
Well I'm sorry but as he's got older he encounters more and more obstacles.
Ok his diabetes could be better controlled but on the plus side he hasn't been hospitalized or ill ( fingers crossed) for many years.
He's physically really fit, goes to gym,runs and was once even in a strongest man comp.
But with all of this he applied to TVP with them knowing on his application about his diabetes.
Got through all of the interviews right through to the end process- the physical- to be told even though he is extremely fit his diabetes isn't well enough controlled.
I'm sorry but I think this is discrimination!!
Another story,
He's waiting for an operation- that could potentially turn cancerous only to be told by the hospital they won't do it coz of the risk of infection!
My poor lad is at the end of his tether and is worry with the things he is thinking of doing!!!
Help please x

My son has had type 1 for 24 years and when he was first diagnosed we were led to believe its not the end of the world.
Well I'm sorry but as he's got older he encounters more and more obstacles.
Ok his diabetes could be better controlled but on the plus side he hasn't been hospitalized or ill ( fingers crossed) for many years.
He's physically really fit, goes to gym,runs and was once even in a strangest man comp.
But with all of this he applied to TVP with them knowing on his application about his diabetes.
Got through all of the interviews right through to the end process- the physical- to be told even though he is extremely fit his diabetes isn't well enough controlled.
I'm sorry but I think this is discrimination!!
Another story,
He's waiting for an operation- that could potentially turn cancerous only to be told by the hospital they won't do it coz of the risk of infection!
My poor ladies at the end of his tether and is worrus with the things he is thinking of doing!!!
Help please x
Strongest man!!!

Thames valley police

Ah, ok 🙂 There are police officers with Type 1 diabetes so it’s not a blanket ban. I imagine they look at each case individually. Did they say specifically what they meant by his diabetes not being controlled well enough? Are his blood sugars too high? Are they erratic? Is he prone to hypos?

Just erratic
I have been told by others that this particular force pretty much don't accept diabetics

Just erratic
I have been told by others that this particular force pretty much don't accept diabetics

Does he have a Libre? Could he apply to a neighbouring force? Is there anything he could do to improve his sugars? Would he be allowed to re-apply to TVP if he did?

He's got it all.
Also he's been waiting for about a year for his clinical team to get needles etc added back on his prescription to inject more actrapid when necessary.
Every appointment/ phone call is a battle to get in itself.
I'm just at a loss as he just feels completely finished.
He's always been able to treat his highs/ lows efficiently himself.

As I said to I know of others that have tried,eventually succeeded to get in tvp only to be sent back and forth to different people/ therapist/drs just to be deemed fit.
This person left in the end.
It goes round In circles.
I just think they need to be more honest with the application process as he is devastated.

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear that your son is running into these difficulties and I can understand it must be very frustrating for him and for you as a mother trying to support him.
The thing that strikes me is that they will not do this cancer related surgery and that suggests that his diabetes is not as well managed as you might hope. There are limits for HbA1c levels for surgery and clearly he must be too high if they are refusing to do it as there is a risk of infection.
How does your son manage his diabetes? Does he inject several times daily (MDI... multiple Daily Injections) or does he have an insulin pump? Does he have a Freestyle Libre sensor on his arm or some other CGM to help him monitor his levels.
As a retired Police Officer who was thankfully diagnosed after I retired, I can understand how you would need to have really good diabetes management in order to do the job. The shifts alone would be challenging and needing to be fit in all respects so as not to end up a burden to colleagues at a critical moment or not able to drive to respond to a call for assistance because his levels have dropped. It is all very well being physically fit but he also needs to have good diabetes management and maybe that is what he needs to work on in order for him to be successful.

If he was to join this forum, I am sure we could help him with some tips and tricks to manage things better or suggest technology which might help him if we knew what issues he was having.

He's got it all.
Also he's been waiting for about a year for his clinical team to get needles etc added back on his prescription to inject more actrapid when necessary.
Every appointment/ phone call is a battle to get in itself.
I'm just at a loss as he just feels completely finished.
He's always been able to treat his highs/ lows efficiently himself.

Can his GP not add the needles back on? Why were they removed?

There are limits for HbA1c levels for surgery
I was told my HbA1c had to be below 69 for an op to go ahead (in 2020). @Stitch147 was told hers had to be much lower - can't remember the exact figure tho.

So sorry to hear that your son's been let down - I can understand his / your frustration @LackjackO.

I was told my HbA1c had to be below 69 for an op to go ahead (in 2020). @Stitch147 was told hers had to be much lower - can't remember the exact figure tho.

So sorry to hear that your son's been let down - I can understand his / your frustration @LackjackO.

Yes, I think perhaps it depends on the particular operation as to what the HbA1c cut off is. I am guessing there are areas or parts of the body which are more susceptible to infection so perhaps a lower HbA1c is necessary for those.

Yes, I think perhaps it depends on the particular operation as to what the HbA1c cut off is. I am guessing there are areas or parts of the body which are more susceptible to infection so perhaps a lower HbA1c is necessary for those.
They took me off the waiting list for my cataract operation as my HbA1c was 141 and they said it should be about 48 but would do my operation if i got it down to 69 x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back