Illness & Type 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharp00782

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

Just looking for some advice. An abcess started growing in my gum just below my right eye on Thursday. Couldn't get in to a dentist for lovel nor money. Continued to grow and was quite painful on Saturday. Woke up on Saturday morning to a reading of 4.4 but I was hypo'ing in the night from 1AM-4AM (didn't wake up). Anyway, woke up with a thumping headache and just felt drained.

So, yesterday I went to A&E. They took blooks, facial x-ray and prescribed me Codeine for the pain and Co-Amoxicillin for the infection (cheek the size of a golf ball). Not going down as of yet. Cue last night. Went to bed and woke up sweating and shaky at 3AM. Libre just read LOW. Went downstairs and had some carbs. Got it up to 4.5 within an hour and went back to sleep.

I know that if you are ill it plays havoc with blood sugar, I was under the impression though that it went "up" when sick and not down. Any advice appreciated even though I am not sure what I am asking. Today I just feel completely wiped out.

It doesn’t always go up, some illness can make it go down. It’s the same approach though, just reduce your insulin dose and have plenty of fast acting carbs on hand to sip to keep your bg up especially if not eating.

Wow that does sound painful, hope you soon feel better.
No worries some people do go low when they are unwell. Hypo's like that will drain you so take it easy and perhaps consider reducing your insulin a bit until your levels start to rise again.

The important thing is to have your hypo treatment to hand rather than having to stumble downstairs in the night to fetch something otherwise you may have to contend with more that a painful face.
I hope the antibiotics kick in soon to give you some relief.

@sharp00782 sorry you are not feeling great and struggling with your abscess. It sounds nasty.
As others have said our levels can go down as well as up.
But, as all your hypos have been through the night, I wanted to check that these are not compression lows and are checked with finger pricks.
So, as well as hypo treatment, the full diabetes kit needs to be kept next to your bed.

Hope you feel better soon.

@sharp00782 sorry you are not feeling great and struggling with your abscess. It sounds nasty.
As others have said our levels can go down as well as up.
But, as all your hypos have been through the night, I wanted to check that these are not compression lows and are checked with finger pricks.
So, as well as hypo treatment, the full diabetes kit needs to be kept next to your bed.

Hope you feel better soon.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately not, I confirmed with a finger prick test and kept checking also to ensure it was going up.

I probably didn't explain myself correctly in the email and appreciate everyones concern. I do keep my hypo treatment by my bed, jelly babies, dextrose tabs etc. When I said downstairs, what I neglected to say was that it was downstairs only because I left my pain meds (codeine) in the kitchen and needed a couple of tablets. A mistake I shall not repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back