Illness and levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivostas66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good morning all. I have been unwell for a week now. It started with aches, pains, headache and swollen glands, progressing to a persistent cough that is keeping me awake throughout the night, raging sore throat and earache. I spoke to the doctor who sent me to the hospitals 'acute illness clinic'. As someone who suffered a lot from asthma when I was young, colds and flu every few years tend to knock me for six. Anyway, they put me on a strong dose of antibiotics (with a very long list of side effects). I've had PCRS and done lateral flow tests - all negative. Since taking the antibiotics, my throat and ears are no longer painful and I think any infection is now taken care of, despite still having the cough. However, two things are concerning me. My chest feels cold and 'damp' when I breathe and my BG levels have been almost out of control for the past 4 days. For example, I leapt to 20 after eating a bowl of soup yesterday afternoon and then in the evening I had two hypos in very quick succession. I am following sick day rules, but wondered if there is anything else I can do?

How horrible for you @Ivostas66 Perhaps it the nasty cold that’s going round? I had it and felt rough for quite a while.

Obvious question but have you googled the antibiotics to see if they can cause hyperglycaemia? I had a serious infection and the antibiotics I was given pushed my blood sugar right up to around 15 and it was a fight to get it back to normal and keep it there. I increased my basal slightly and upped my boluses.

I’m not sure what you mean about your chest feeling cold and damp, but unless you think it’s just the lingering effects of your illness (eg my lungs often feel ‘raw’ almost after a cold) then I’d speak to your GP just to make sure all’s well.

I hope you’re feeling a lot better soon. Take it easy and rest lots.

Sorry to hear you’ve been going through the mill with your cold @Ivostas66 :(

Glad you are following sick-day rules. Hope things settle down for you soon.

Illness is a pain to start with and then requires us to be more alert and make adjustments to our insulin doses, as per your sick day rules. It still amazes me just how big an impact illness has on BGs, and sometimes I get an early warning of a forthcoming cold as levels start to rise.

I hope that you start to feel a lot better soon.

Was back at the acute illness clinic again today. Some improvement since last week, but I've seen an increase in BG levels and less time in range - averaging around 8.5, but usually nearer 6.5. Had two big spikes close to 20 over the weekend for no reason and one was followed by a crash to 3 within about an hour! Doctor is reluctant to put me on a steroid inhaler as she said they play havoc with type 1 diabetics BG control. She suggested an increase in basal, but I said no due to the random hypos.

I'll keep soldiering on!

Illness is extra-annoying with diabetes @Ivostas66 Such a pain to have to think about your blood sugar when you’re not well. Thanks for the update. Wishing you a swift recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back