If you were applying for a job at what stage would you let them you were diabetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
So recent events have got me questioning if you were applying for a job when you let them know about your diabetes would you let them know In your interview or would wait until you had a job offer. Obviously you I know they need to know at some point for health and safety reasons.

Last edited:
Long time since had interview, told them about diabetes when asked towards end of interview if there was anything they needed to be aware of, so told them I'm type 1 but condition was under control, got job so don't think they seen it as a big deal.

MHO best to be truthful upfront.

yeah i useally let them know in the interveiw. i just had some thoughts people making discausions once you got the job could be different to people intervening you and making that decisions

So recent events have got questioning if you were applying for a job when you let them know about your diabetes would you let them know In your interview or would wait until you had a job offer. Obviously you I know they need to know at some point for health and safety reasons.
More so now (older and less concerned about things like this), but definitely make it clear as soon as possible. If they see "it" as a problem, you'd best find out before rather then after you start working. It could help avoid issues later on. I think attitudes and understanding has gotten better as the years have passed so shouldn't be anything to be afraid to mention.

More so now (older and less concerned about things like this), but definitely make it clear as soon as possible. If they see "it" as a problem, you'd best find out before rather then after you start working. It could help avoid issues later on. I think attitudes and understanding has gotten better as the years have passed so shouldn't be anything to be afraid to mention.
yeah maybe in my less role i should have made it clear what it might involve but the person doing interveiw seems to be aware what it might as she said "anything you need to bring with you is fine". but things have got me wondering i proberrly should go into too much detial on here just incase they see.

Last edited:
yeah maybe in my less role i should have made it clear what it might involve but the person doing interveiw seems to be aware what it might as she said "anything you need to bring with you is fine". but things have got me wondering i proberrly should go into too much detial on here just incase they see.
It says a lot when we have to "weigh up" if we should "tell" people we have diabetes. I've yet to meet anyone in perfect health. People should be more considerate and helpful towards others. It can happen to anyone (illness). The alternative would be to put everyone with an ilness on permanent disability benefits, never having to work their whole life.

It's better for everyone if we can work.

It says a lot when we have to "weigh up" if we should "tell" people we have diabetes. I've yet to meet anyone in perfect health. People should be more considerate and helpful towards others. It can happen to anyone (illness). The alternative would be to put everyone with an ilness on permanent disability benefits, never having to work their whole life.

It's better for everyone if we can work.
no i didn't mean i wouldn't tell people at all i just meant weather to do itt interview and that would mean the whole companny are aware some can be a bit more off then others becuase of it withen certin sitaitions or just have a quiet word with your manger on the first day.

Some employers are aware that a well controlled employee with Diabetes is counted as Disabled, which looks good on the list of disabled employees the firm has.

no i didn't mean i wouldn't tell people at all i just meant weather to do itt interview and that would mean the whole companny are aware some can be a bit more off then others becuase of it withen certin sitaitions or just have a quiet word with your manger on the first day.
I understood what you meant.

You could keep it low key and just tell a select few including H.R or if you want to, tell everyone. The only drawback with telling everyone is the potential for typical comments like "should you be eating that", the benefit of telling everyone is if anything happens.

It depends how the application form is phrased. If it asks if I have a disability, I’d probably say Yes, but many forms just ask if you have a disability requiring special arrangements to attend an interview, so I say No.

Then, if I get an interview, I don’t mention the diabetes unless I’m directly asked. I told my last job via the Health form I had to fill out after getting the job. There was no problem with this.

Although the law theoretically protects you if they don’t give you the job because you have diabetes, in practice that’s very hard to prove.

Well I did get my last job which despite mentioning diabetes(I don't have it anymore). I had a trail shifts for a couple of jobs that I didn't get and mentioned it then incase I need to attend to something during the trail shifts

I understood what you meant.

You could keep it low key and just tell a select few including H.R or if you want to, tell everyone. The only drawback with telling everyone is the potential for typical comments like "should you be eating that", the benefit of telling everyone is if anything happens.
Yeah thats true if you say in your interview then everyone in the company will know(I mean verry senior up mangent and they who I was unsure of knowing rather then just your manager. I don't mind the people I would actually work with knowing)

I have told my manager about being diabetic and that because it’s fairly new to me my medication is a bit up and down and that it has affected my mood and energy levels. Whilst I don’t expect a full conversation every time I go into work, I very rarely get asked how things are and where am I with regard to coping with the various things related to Diabetes. If I were going to an interview I would be honest and upfront by putting any information they ask about on the application form (if asked). Otherwise, I’d mention it at the interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back