If unallowed please delete...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gildersleeve

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
He/Him
As this forum makes clear...we cannot give absolute advice what is a good path to control diabetes. It is as individual as each of us. We know too well a lot of studies are questionable. Many articles in newspapers are too. Many are desperate and clutching at straws.

But if we don't see or hear the latest ideas being talked about how will we know if something just maybe could help. We can all come on here and say this is guff. I am not suggesting that anyone follows this

I can't fault your logic. Unluckily the source for your post, the Indian Express, managed to lock my android phone because I accidentally touched an advert while scrolling ans the screen I was taken to froze. So once I got out, boring, I read no further and retreated back to here.

I also think this idea is dubious of food, pepper and lemon, but the lemon on its own is an acetic acid and that is well known and developed as a theme by the Glucose Goddess.

Hi @Gildersleeve. We get lots of queries regarding the reported "magical" properties of various things when it comes to treating diabetes. What they all seem to have in common is that they are being promoted by obscure sources (mostly with an air of the exotic) and have no logical reason why they might be effective other than some sort of generic vague claims. As such they are best treated for what they mostly are, somebody trying to sell something using diabetes as the "hook". By the way, I don't follow links such as the one you post because of the risk that they might have malign intent and do rather more than freeze your device as seen by @Proud to be erratic

The point I make is that if there was anything in these magic potions then somebody authoritative would be reporting on properly done test work to examine their effectiveness and if citric acid (not acetic acid which is vinegar) had any blood glucose lowering effect then it would be part of mainstream treatment.

Finally, if you think I am a staid old fuddy duddy with a mind closed to new developments, then do some test work on yourself to prove me wrong! As an ex R&D scientist, I would be the first to cheer your success. 🙂

When I was first diagnosed as a teen, my grandad, a clever man and a chemist by trade, did a lot of "research" and decided that walnuts would be the "cure" and he would bring me a bag every week. Sadly they didn't have the desired impact and it only put me off them for a long while.
I've heard of many a magical cure, cucumber, cinnamon etc. these things might help but I am sure if scientists believed these things were the cure they would have fixed it by now.
Yes we should keep ourselves aware of what's going on out there, but I tend to stick to more official sources. I find JDRF and Diabetes UK share a lot, as do Beyond Type 1 & 2.

Diabetes UK has this helpful page regarding the topic of food supplements which does come up quite frequently

Some brief excerpts for those who don't want to read the whole page:

Diabetes UK does not recommend the use of herbal remedies and supplements as there is not enough evidence that they are safe and effective for people with diabetes to use.

Remember that phrases such as ‘natural’, ‘herbal’ and ‘derived from plant’ do not necessarily mean ‘safe’.

Vitamin and mineral supplements are becoming increasingly popular, but they have no clear benefits for people with diabetes, unless you have a deficiency or your doctor prescribes them.

Many herbal and complementary therapies sold in shops have not been tested and they are not regulated in the same way as prescribed medications.

If you are taking any herbal or complementary remedies, it’s important that you speak to your healthcare team and continue to take your diabetes medication. There may be risks associated with taking supplements, because they affect the way your diabetes medications work, and make diabetes complications (eg kidney disease) worse.

Diabetes UK has this helpful page regarding the topic of food supplements which does come up quite frequently

Some brief excerpts for those who don't want to read the whole page:

Diabetes UK does not recommend the use of herbal remedies and supplements as there is not enough evidence that they are safe and effective for people with diabetes to use.

Remember that phrases such as ‘natural’, ‘herbal’ and ‘derived from plant’ do not necessarily mean ‘safe’.

Vitamin and mineral supplements are becoming increasingly popular, but they have no clear benefits for people with diabetes, unless you have a deficiency or your doctor prescribes them.

Many herbal and complementary therapies sold in shops have not been tested and they are not regulated in the same way as prescribed medications.

If you are taking any herbal or complementary remedies, it’s important that you speak to your healthcare team and continue to take your diabetes medication. There may be risks associated with taking supplements, because they affect the way your diabetes medications work, and make diabetes complications (eg kidney disease) worse.
My first thought when someone says something is "natural" is so are deadly nightshade, laburnum and yew! They tick the plant-based box as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back