If sitting all day, working out does not reduce risk of diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Women just can?t win.

Even if you are a gym rat, if you sit the rest of the day you are at increased risk for diabetes, heart disease, obesity and premature death, a new study has found.

Regular exercise, it turns out, does not reduce the risk of an otherwise sedentary lifestyle.

?We all know someone who gets a good workout in every day, but then spends a large portion of their day sitting in front of a computer with few breaks,? said Lynette Craft, lead author of the study and adjunct professor of preventive medicine at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...udy-article-1.1211368?localLinksEnabled=false

From personal experience (and I know one can't necessarily extrapolate), this is utter drivel!

I'm an IT Professional and I spend lots of time sitting.

Since diagnosis, I do atleast one hour of brisk walking every day and my diabetic symptoms have improved to the point that I no longer need medication to control them and my last HbA1c was 40mmol/mol (5.8%).

I am also no longer obese and I am still alive!

People should not rely on such research to assume that they cannot make a difference to their lives.

Andy 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back