If I get to remission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andybassman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I recently got diagnosed with type 2 and I'm relieved that I think we caught it early. I’m 38, 26 BMI and my blood test result was only just over the threshold.

I’ve been told that I should start with just diet and exercise changes. A few weeks in and I’ve been really strict on sugar intake, limiting my carbs, I’m careful to not have much bread and only whole meal seeded and so on. My portion sizes and general daily food intake has certainly dropped. I can tell I’ve already lost weight, and the exhaustion I had been suffering (what led to the blood test and diagnosis) has subsided.

I’m feeling confident that maybe by the spring I can be down to pre-diabetic levels. So my question is this...

If I get below the threshold, do I still need to be as strict as I am being now with sugar and carbs, or will I be in a position to relax a little? For example, recently there was a family party and everyone had a nice slice of Black Forest gateau, I knew I had to say no as it would almost certainly contain many days worth of sugar content for my current diet. Would I be in a position where the odd slice of cake, or a nice big garlic naan with a curry every now and again is going to be safe for me?

I'm afraid that the whole meal seeded is probably very little improvement. Being just over the threshold, you should not worry too much, as it is probably going to be easy enough to get back into normal numbers.
Sugars are carbs, so not a separate category.
Personally I find that 'normal' baking is far too sweet, so a taste of cake is not even pleasant now, and I have finely chopped cauliflower with curry these days. It would probably be perfectly safe - but I just don't want high carb foods.

Hi all,

I recently got diagnosed with type 2 and I'm relieved that I think we caught it early. I’m 38, 26 BMI and my blood test result was only just over the threshold.

I’ve been told that I should start with just diet and exercise changes. A few weeks in and I’ve been really strict on sugar intake, limiting my carbs, I’m careful to not have much bread and only whole meal seeded and so on. My portion sizes and general daily food intake has certainly dropped. I can tell I’ve already lost weight, and the exhaustion I had been suffering (what led to the blood test and diagnosis) has subsided.

I’m feeling confident that maybe by the spring I can be down to pre-diabetic levels. So my question is this...

If I get below the threshold, do I still need to be as strict as I am being now with sugar and carbs, or will I be in a position to relax a little? For example, recently there was a family party and everyone had a nice slice of Black Forest gateau, I knew I had to say no as it would almost certainly contain many days worth of sugar content for my current diet. Would I be in a position where the odd slice of cake, or a nice big garlic naan with a curry every now and again is going to be safe for me?

Everybody's different, but there's a gd chance that a bit of weight loss => yr liver & pancreas get their acts together => you don't need to be very strict abut carbs. Anyway, that's the way it's worked out for me. Getting a blood glucose meter and doing some testing (without getting to obsessive about it) might be useful for keeping track of how you're doing.

Hi @Andybassman, I'm still cutting out carbs including sugar despite having dropped to 37 Hba1c. That's because a) I want to stay in remission and b) I've still got 11lb to get to my target weight.

However, once I've got to target I shall certainly be having the occasional naan or slice of cake, but I will remain off all carbs as a general rule to avoid the sorry state I got to when I was diagnosed. Though whether or not I will want to eat cake is uncertain...my tastes have changed radically since I gave up carbs.

As @Eddy Edson says, monitoring is a great way to check what are the right foods for you, but if you do, try not to get as obsessive about it as me! 🙄

I was in a similar position in August and managed to reduce HbA1c to pre diabetes level in 4 weeks by going low carb. I have also lost over a stone too, so would recommend this for weight loss, eating more fats and protein fills you up and so you don’t crave the carb snacks. My tastes have really changed too, the thought of eating cake or a large naan really don’t appeal to me any more!
I have found lower carb bread, the best is Livlife in Waitrose which is only 3.8 g carbs per slice.
I have cut all potato, pasta and rice and have found good alternatives like cauliflower rice, celeriac chips.
I am going to start having the occasional treat over Christmas but will monitor with BG monitor to find out what sort of effect it’s had on me so I can better understand my risk levels.
I am starting to come to terms with the fact that I will always be at risk of diabetes.
Good luck with your journey and I have found the support and advice on this forum far better than local health services so you are in the right place.

Welcome to the forum @Andybassman
You have already had loads of advice so I will just encourage you to ask any questions that you have.
Noth8ng is considered silly on here. just ask.

Welcome to the forum @Andybassman

Great news about your increased energy levels and well done for tackling things head-on from the outset

It’s difficult to predict with any certainty, but with luck if you can reduce any visceral fat that may have built up around your internal organs (which can impair their ability to function effectively) you may find you get some increased freedom with - we’ve certainly had members over the years who have experienced that.

However we have also had members for whom ‘carb creep’ remains problematic, and they prefer to opt for a more permanent way of eating that they know works for them.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back