identity cards & braclets

Status
Not open for further replies.

traceycat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
do type 2 need to carry an identity card if so were would i get one? or a braclet that dosent cost alot. thanks xxx

I dont think you have to if d/e controlled but really not sure.
Please someone correct me if I am wrong re the d/e bit.

A good question though - i have been wondering.

I'm type 2 I always wear an identity tag and a bracelet saying I have diabetes. If you have an accident and are put on a drip that contains glucose it could cause problems. I have a medic alert pendant that costs ?25 a year for peace of mind. It has a membership number and a contact number and states I have type 2 diabetes. At the centre they keep information like the medication I am on, an emergency contact number (not sure if there is a limit to emergency contact numbers) and who my GP is.

I think it is a personal thing, some folks have a credit card sized card in their purse or wallett or with their travel card/season ticket with relevent information written on it.

Here is a site here and they also do the id cards http://www.theidbandco.com/?gclid=CKXts5iC8KICFZUA4wode3pXnA

I do and i think others carry around a id card just saying my type of diabetes, my address, my medication and my Oh's contact number, but i am not sure either if D/E control need them.

I think its just down to personal choice if you want one go ahead its always there incase anything goes wrong x

When I started on insulin my nurse gave me a card that tells people that I'm an insulin treated diabetic. It also tells people what to do in an emergency if I am found ill or unconscious. It also has a space for my name and emergency contact number on the back.

Even if you are not treated with insulin it can be a good idea to carry something like a medialert tag or some such, that tells people that you are diabetic in case you were involved in an accident as it would be useful for medical staff to know you are diabetic.

thanks everyone, ill look into getting one. just incase anything ever happens

I keep thinking about getting one, but I'm also severely allergic to metronidazole. So I'd need two bracelets, and I probably wouldn't be allowed to wear them at college/work (when I go). :confused:

I'm D&E anyway, so it's not really something they'd need to know in an emergency.

I keep thinking about getting one, but I'm also severely allergic to metronidazole. So I'd need two bracelets, and I probably wouldn't be allowed to wear them at college/work (when I go). :confused:

I'm D&E anyway, so it's not really something they'd need to know in an emergency.

If it is on safety grounds (might get caught in machinary) you could get a necklace/pendant style thing and tuck it inside your clothes. Or a bracelet can be removed and popped into a pocket.

I am office based and jewllry type items are allowed. It might pay to find out when you go for interviews if there is a dress code and what kind of jewllry is allowed. Some places prefer no or minimal and others are more relaxed about it. You don't have to explain why you are asking unless you have already declared you are diabetic, and then say it is so the medical people know what kind of treatment you need.

As others have suggested sometimes a card in a purse or wallett with all the information is what they are happiest with.

Hmm shall have to ask them when I go back to enrol, had my interview Monday and didnt think to ask then. They might be fine with jewellery but I figured as I'm doing massage/reflexology that they might have a problem with jewellery hygiene wise.:confused:

I like the canvas and leather style ones you can get, but at ?30 a pop, I'll have to save up for one!

I take my watch off when working clinically, and attach it to my security lanyard / badge, tucked into top when needed - all depends on local conditions. In reality, it's probably more important to wear ID items when not on familiar ground where people know you eg away from home / work / college. But I never bother, as (a) I don't like wearing jewellery and (b) I've never needed any intervention from anyone else when not able to explain myself - even when knocked off my bike, I told everyone around about my type 1 diabetes, in case I did lose consciousness.

Hi Lisa you wouldn't need 2 bracelets/pendants etc. Medic Alert keep you details on file and it has all details listed on it. You also get a card with your medical conditions listed and what meds you are on, then you can get a bracelet/pendant if you want to. They would be able to put a couple of conditions on it.

I have a silve bracelet from :
http://www.universalmedicalid.com/mkt_uk/build.php?buildwhat=necklace

the silver one is about ?40, stanless steel about ?21 and you get free MYOMR membership which gives people a freephone number to call and an ID for you. You can record all your medical conditions and medication and this will be given out to a paramedic/doctor if they call it. The MyOMR is free for life (no annual fee) so it makes the bracelets good value. There is a very wide range of bracelets, necklaces, wristbands etc. You get a card for your wallet/purse as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back