I'd like to start a discussion about Diabetic amyotrophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

pondita

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Other names are: Diabetic Plexopathy, diabetic amyotrophy, diabetic lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathy, Bruns-Garland Syndrome. Please share your knowledge. I'm doing online research about it, and would love to get your first hand experiences. Thank you.

Hi. We have had a few people over the years, join the forum and enquire about this, but I don't think any have hung around and updated their threads0. I believe it is quite rare and can improve or totally resolve with improved blood glucose control but can be extremely debilitating whilst suffering it.

Have you been diagnosed with it or suspect that you may have it?

Hi. We have had a few people over the years, join the forum and enquire about this, but I don't think any have hung around and updated their threads0. I believe it is quite rare and can improve or totally resolve with improved blood glucose control but can be extremely debilitating whilst suffering it.

Have you been diagnosed with it or suspect that you may have it?
IDK what's going on with me, but I'm searching for clues. I was diagnosed with Type 1 a little over a year ago. I was in DKA, bypassing my having type 2. Since then, I have been constantly having hip and lower back pain. I thought the statins were causing it, and although we tried 3 different statins, the pain continued, so i got off them. I've been off statins 2 months now, and this pain just won't go away. I've always been very fit, and have eaten healthily my adult life, so this is quite an issue for me.

Anyhow, all that I've researched about this says, like you mention, that it improves over time with good control. I do have good control, all the medical peeps are impressed (so they say), so.....

I thought to start a query on this forum to see if anyone knows about it. To see if this is the issue, or if it's something else. If it is, what kind of activity is best? I'm pushing myself to stay as active as I can. If I do anything strenuous, such as gardening for a couple of hours, I suffer for it. I can barely move. I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 60, and I have too much living left to do to be debilitated by this. Yes, I'm frustrated with it. 🙂

PS, reading your diabetes journey attached to your post. Why the switch to Fiasp in Oct 2020?

Looking at it positively @pondita perhaps the members haven’t returned to their threads because their problem has resolved 🙂 I see you tried swapping statins. Have you tried an alternative insulin to Lantus? In a small number of people, certain insulins can cause issues, including joint and muscle pain. Worth a try, I’d think.

IDK what's going on with me, but I'm searching for clues. I was diagnosed with Type 1 a little over a year ago. I was in DKA, bypassing my having type 2. Since then, I have been constantly having hip and lower back pain. I thought the statins were causing it, and although we tried 3 different statins, the pain continued, so i got off them. I've been off statins 2 months now, and this pain just won't go away. I've always been very fit, and have eaten healthily my adult life, so this is quite an issue for me.

Anyhow, all that I've researched about this says, like you mention, that it improves over time with good control. I do have good control, all the medical peeps are impressed (so they say), so.....

I thought to start a query on this forum to see if anyone knows about it. To see if this is the issue, or if it's something else. If it is, what kind of activity is best? I'm pushing myself to stay as active as I can. If I do anything strenuous, such as gardening for a couple of hours, I suffer for it. I can barely move. I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 60, and I have too much living left to do to be debilitated by this. Yes, I'm frustrated with it. 🙂

PS, reading your diabetes journey attached to your post. Why the switch to Fiasp in Oct 2020?
From the information I have read, diabetic amyotrophy causes notable muscle wastage and weakness resulting in people having their leg suddenly give way as they are walking and loss of stability and mobility as a result rather than pain being the primary symptom.
I would wonder about another possible cause than a diabetes complication. I am not sure how quickly statin side effects take to alleviate but I'm not sure you could rule that out just yet. Other ailments like Polymyalgia Rheumatica could be responsible. Inka's suggestion that it might be related to your Lantus is worth exploring too.

As regards my switch to Fiasp, it was because "Novo" is not so "Rapid" for me and I was needing to give it about an hour and a quarter prebolus time at breakfast to prevent spiking and about 30 mins at other times of day. Fiasp is marginally quicker at 45mins for breakfast and 20-25 at other times of the day. Unfortunately my digestive system is very fast, so the glucose hits my blood stream really quick, even on a low carb high fat diet, but I seem to be quite slow to absorb insulin. I'm not totally sold on Fiasp but we have eventually (after 2 trials and several months of me disliking it) found a way of working together successfully most of the time. I am torn between asking to try something else (Lyumjev or Apidra) but the thought of going through more months of frustration trying to unlearn my strategies with Fiasp and figure out a way to make another insulin work for me is holding me back. I am now a year down the line with Fiasp and said I would give it a full year's trial this time rather than giving up after a couple of months last time.... so it's now a question of sticking with the devil I know or taking a punt on another supposedly "fast" insulin that may be no better or not even as good.

Other names are: Diabetic Plexopathy, diabetic amyotrophy, diabetic lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathy, Bruns-Garland Syndrome. Please share your knowledge. I'm doing online research about it, and would love to get your first hand experiences. Thank you.
Hi, Sorry I'm guilty of not updating my thread about this. I was diagnosed with Diabetic Amyotrophy. It's rare and not easy to find out about. I'm about 14 months into it, am just beginning to recover. I've been told it's possible to make a complete recovery but that it can take a year or maybe 2. It was extremely painful, my muscles wasted, and I lost 3 stone. I went from full mobility to being in a wheelchair. I have posted before about my experiences just to share but am happy to help again - perhaps post some questions?

Hi, Sorry I'm guilty of not updating my thread about this. I was diagnosed with Diabetic Amyotrophy. It's rare and not easy to find out about. I'm about 14 months into it, am just beginning to recover. I've been told it's possible to make a complete recovery but that it can take a year or maybe 2. It was extremely painful, my muscles wasted, and I lost 3 stone. I went from full mobility to being in a wheelchair. I have posted before about my experiences just to share but am happy to help again - perhaps post some questions?
Heres the original posting.
In May I posted about my experience with Diabetic Amyotrophy. At the time there wasn't a lot of info on the site about it - it's quite rare.
I've had the illness now for over a year and thought I'd let you know how I was getting on! It may help someone else, you never know. It's an odd thing indeed and I just wanted to share.
The symptoms are weight loss, muscle wasting, weakness, and extreme pain. It also effected my digestion.
In August I woke with a pain in my hip. It wasn't too bad and I thought I'd pulled a muscle pushing the grandchildren on the swings. Over the following fortnight it got worse and went down my leg to my knee and foot. Classic signs of sciatica which I'd had before - so I went to an osteophath. There wasn't anything that needed manipulation, and I was given a massage and a list of exercises. However, the pain increased over the following weeks and was really bad. I couldn't sleep because of it and was only getting 2/3 hours a night - I spent the rest of the time walking around the house clutching a hot water bottle to my back.
I also noticed that I'd started to lose weight; a couple of pounds a week. The GP still thought I had sciatica and referred me to physiotherapy who eventually sent me for an xray and MRI. The results showed slight disc degeneration and arthritis but didn't account for the amount of pain, weight loss or the fact that I was now beginning to lose muscle in my legs. My quadricepes began to disappear.
I started to limp and found I couldn't lift my leg or bear weight so couldn't climb stairs properly. My knee started to give way and I began to fall over without warning. I felt sick all the time and couldn't eat; sometimes I'd throw up after a few mouthfuls. The pain was now truly awful especially in my knee, and I was reduced to moaning and tears quite often.
I had lost 3 stone in 8 months and the GP was worried about cancer and gave me extensive tests, scans etc. One of these tests turned up a huge level in blood sugar and I had to go to A&E where I spent over a day being diagnosed and treated. I had type 2 diabetes and had probably had it for some time.
The GP was stumped and because of the diabetes, he now suspected neuropathy he didn't know which kind, so referred me to a neurologist who recognised my problem immediately and diagnosed Diabetic Amyotrophy. This is different from other neuropothies and is quite rare. They think it happened to me because I'd had untreated type 2 diabetes, which caused the nerves in my leg to become inflamed. It usually affects the kidneys first, so I guess I was lucky! I was given pegabalin to help with the pain.
It got a bit worse. It started affecting my other leg and I could barely walk. My balance went and I couldn't stand or get up from the toilet. However, the diabetes was under control and I began to stop taking tablets for it and now control it by diet alone. This is the first step in the only treatment there is. I went into - and am still in - a wheelchair. I can walk a bit with 2 sticks but am not safe outdoors with them - too tottery!
The good news for anyone out there who may have it is that a recovery is possible. Isn't that wonderful?! Very very slowly I can feel the strength returning to my legs. I've just managed to reduce my pain meds (pregabalin) and my appetite has returned. I am 5foot 4 inches and weighed 7stone but am beginning to put on weight again thank goodness -- the dietician has given me carte blanche to eat cream, cheese and butter for a while. There's a definite upside! I actually took a walk outside yesterday, through Sainburys car park and didn't fall over, so am hopeful that I can give up the wheelchair before too long.
I do hope this information might help spread the word about Diabetic Amyotrophy, and that if you're really unlucky enough to experience it, you can take hope that a recovery, in part or in whole, is possible. I'll let you know when I'm skipping again.

Hiya, I've replied to this thread with updated information about my experiences with amyotrophy. Here it is again in response to your posting. I think it's really encouraging to know that you can recover from this, and I'm on my way - it's slow but is definitely happening. Good luck to you and please ask me anything about my experiences if it helps.

Heres the thread.

In May I posted about my experience with Diabetic Amyotrophy. At the time there wasn't a lot of info on the site about it - it's quite rare.
I've had the illness now for over a year and thought I'd let you know how I was getting on! It may help someone else, you never know. It's an odd thing indeed and I just wanted to share.
The symptoms are weight loss, muscle wasting, weakness, and extreme pain. It also effected my digestion.
In August I woke with a pain in my hip. It wasn't too bad and I thought I'd pulled a muscle pushing the grandchildren on the swings. Over the following fortnight it got worse and went down my leg to my knee and foot. Classic signs of sciatica which I'd had before - so I went to an osteophath. There wasn't anything that needed manipulation, and I was given a massage and a list of exercises. However, the pain increased over the following weeks and was really bad. I couldn't sleep because of it and was only getting 2/3 hours a night - I spent the rest of the time walking around the house clutching a hot water bottle to my back.
I also noticed that I'd started to lose weight; a couple of pounds a week. The GP still thought I had sciatica and referred me to physiotherapy who eventually sent me for an xray and MRI. The results showed slight disc degeneration and arthritis but didn't account for the amount of pain, weight loss or the fact that I was now beginning to lose muscle in my legs. My quadricepes began to disappear.
I started to limp and found I couldn't lift my leg or bear weight so couldn't climb stairs properly. My knee started to give way and I began to fall over without warning. I felt sick all the time and couldn't eat; sometimes I'd throw up after a few mouthfuls. The pain was now truly awful especially in my knee, and I was reduced to moaning and tears quite often.
I had lost 3 stone in 8 months and the GP was worried about cancer and gave me extensive tests, scans etc. One of these tests turned up a huge level in blood sugar and I had to go to A&E where I spent over a day being diagnosed and treated. I had type 2 diabetes and had probably had it for some time.
The GP was stumped and because of the diabetes, he now suspected neuropathy he didn't know which kind, so referred me to a neurologist who recognised my problem immediately and diagnosed Diabetic Amyotrophy. This is different from other neuropothies and is quite rare. They think it happened to me because I'd had untreated type 2 diabetes, which caused the nerves in my leg to become inflamed. It usually affects the kidneys first, so I guess I was lucky! I was given pegabalin to help with the pain.
It got a bit worse. It started affecting my other leg and I could barely walk. My balance went and I couldn't stand or get up from the toilet. However, the diabetes was under control and I began to stop taking tablets for it and now control it by diet alone. This is the first step in the only treatment there is. I went into - and am still in - a wheelchair. I can walk a bit with 2 sticks but am not safe outdoors with them - too tottery!
The good news for anyone out there who may have it is that a recovery is possible. Isn't that wonderful?! Very very slowly I can feel the strength returning to my legs. I've just managed to reduce my pain meds (pregabalin) and my appetite has returned. I am 5foot 4 inches and weighed 7stone but am beginning to put on weight again thank goodness -- the dietician has given me carte blanche to eat cream, cheese and butter for a while. There's a definite upside! I actually took a walk outside yesterday, through Sainburys car park and didn't fall over, so am hopeful that I can give up the wheelchair before too long.
I do hope this information might help spread the word about Diabetic Amyotrophy, and that if you're really unlucky enough to experience it, you can take hope that a recovery, in part or in whole, is possible. I'll let you know when I'm skipping again.

Hiya, I've replied to this thread with updated information about my experiences with amyotrophy. Here it is again in response to your posting. I think it's really encouraging to know that you can recover from this, and I'm on my way - it's slow but is definitely happening. Good luck to you and please ask me anything about my experiences if it helps.

Heres the thread.

Thank you, Anna42. I appreciate your passing on your story. I do hope that you're skipping again soon. What an ordeal you went through ! I'm glad that your diabetes was diagnosed finally, so you could get the treatment you needed. I don't think what I have is Diabetic Amyotrophy. All the best to you.

Thank you, Anna42. I appreciate your passing on your story. I do hope that you're skipping again soon. What an ordeal you went through ! I'm glad that your diabetes was diagnosed finally, so you could get the treatment you needed. I don't think what I have is Diabetic Amyotrophy. All the best to you.
Good luck and best wishes to you too.

Dear All

I have just been diagnosed with Diabetic Amyotrophy and would like to share what’s been happening to me over the past few months.
MH- Renal transplant 10 years ago
Diabetes -type 2 insulin dependant caused by rejection and steroids. I thought my diabetes was under control so had no cause for concern that anything was wrong.
My troubles started when I got what everyone thought was sciatica. I had some acupuncture and physio which actually made the pain worse. Moving on from this I referred myself to the local musculoskeletal team to see if the could help. By the time I saw them my right foot bad got ‘foot drop’ meaning I couldn’t feel my foot totally numb.once seen I was referred for different tests..mri, nerve induction, lumbar puncture.
By this time the pain was really bad and what I was taking didn’t work. I was referred to a pain management team and also a neurologist to see if they could help. The pain team have been really good trying all different ways to curb the pain fingers x the ones I’m on continue to work.
I saw a neurologist who did more tests even repeating some I already had, and he was the one who diagnosed Diabetic Amyotrophy. By this time I was walking worth 2 sticks and was very unsteady on my feet. The pain had drifted to my other leg and now both legs and feet are completely numb so when I do attempt to walk I am wearing splints and using a frame.
The pain is tough to live with and by now I must of been on 4 different types of pain killers.
I have had a couple of fall lately and feel weaker than have been. I am also getting a bit of pain in my arms which is severe at times.
I have seen and heard it will get better but I feel I’m going backwards at the moment, and it’s difficult when it’s a rare medical condition that doesn’t have much information about especially other peoples experiences to help you through.
If there is anyone out there who’d like to share their experience let’s do so.
Zena22

Hi and welcome.

So very sorry to hear of all the difficulties you are facing. That must be tough but good to hear that your current medication is taking the edge off the pain.

How long have you been diagnosed with diabetes and using insulin and which insulins are you using?

You say that you thought your diabetes was under control.... Have you been having regular annual or 6 monthly HbA1c checks and if so what were the results prior to the problems you are experiencing with diabetic complications? Presumably your check your BG levels daily since you are using insulin.... what sort of readings have you been getting?

I am wondering if these complications are as a result of perhaps your diabetes not being diagnosed soon enough and this damage occurred as a result of that or if you have not been given enough support in managing your diabetes and levels have remained too high for a long time since diagnosis? Do you have thoughts on this?

You mention "foot drop".... and I am wondering if you might be suffering from Charcot Foot which is another quite rare complication of diabetes.... Have you had x-rays of the foot? Is there distortion, swelling and/or redness? @Flower is our resident expert on Charcot and might have some useful input on this although I appreciate you are not saying you have been diagnosed with Charcot.

My understanding of diabetic amyotrophy is that it is mostly muscle wastage and nerve damage caused by excessively high BG levels over a significant period of time which can repair to a greater or lesser extent with better BG management, but if your BG levels have been well managed since your diagnosis with DA then that obviously doesn't tie in.

Fortunately DA seems to either quite rare or (less fortunately) people are not diagnosed due to a lack of clinical knowledge and those people who have posted about it seem to rarely return to the forum to update us but I hope that perhaps your posting here on this thread will cause some contributors to return to it with some hopefully positive updates.

Maintaining good diabetes management will be key to maximizing your chances of the condition improving and reducing the risk of further deterioration so if there is anything those of us who are insulin dependent can help you with on that front, then please ask. Different insulins/technology or even dietary advice may help you to improve your BG levels.... there is always so much to learn with diabetes and we are all so different that tapping into the experiences of others can often be more helpful than the general guidance that clinicians provide. This is the massive benefit of this forum as there is such a huge wealth of knowledge and understanding from people who are living with it day by day and meal by meal.

I hope we are able to provide you with some support and information which will be useful and sending virtual (((HUGS))) because it sounds like you are up against it at the moment.

Welcome to the forum @Zena22 and for sharing your experiences with diabetic amyotrophy.

Hope you are able to see some steadying of your symptoms, and perhaps some improvements over time.

Fingers crossed the pain management helps too. Long term pain is a particularly challenging experience.

Dear All

I have just been diagnosed with Diabetic Amyotrophy and would like to share what’s been happening to me over the past few months.
MH- Renal transplant 10 years ago
Diabetes -type 2 insulin dependant caused by rejection and steroids. I thought my diabetes was under control so had no cause for concern that anything was wrong.
My troubles started when I got what everyone thought was sciatica. I had some acupuncture and physio which actually made the pain worse. Moving on from this I referred myself to the local musculoskeletal team to see if the could help. By the time I saw them my right foot bad got ‘foot drop’ meaning I couldn’t feel my foot totally numb.once seen I was referred for different tests..mri, nerve induction, lumbar puncture.
By this time the pain was really bad and what I was taking didn’t work. I was referred to a pain management team and also a neurologist to see if they could help. The pain team have been really good trying all different ways to curb the pain fingers x the ones I’m on continue to work.
I saw a neurologist who did more tests even repeating some I already had, and he was the one who diagnosed Diabetic Amyotrophy. By this time I was walking worth 2 sticks and was very unsteady on my feet. The pain had drifted to my other leg and now both legs and feet are completely numb so when I do attempt to walk I am wearing splints and using a frame.
The pain is tough to live with and by now I must of been on 4 different types of pain killers.
I have had a couple of fall lately and feel weaker than have been. I am also getting a bit of pain in my arms which is severe at times.
I have seen and heard it will get better but I feel I’m going backwards at the moment, and it’s difficult when it’s a rare medical condition that doesn’t have much information about especially other peoples experiences to help you through.
If there is anyone out there who’d like to share their experience let’s do so.
Zena22
Hello Zena22 from a fellow sufferer. I'm the one who has posted here (read back through this thread) with my symptoms and experiences and it's probably time for another update!! I'm with you on the lack of information but it sounds as if I'm a bit further on in my illness so if there's anything you think I might be able to help with, please ask away. Looking back I realize that I've had a really bad dose of amyotrophy- not every case is severe - and the pain, muscle wastage, loss of weight (I just avoided being hospitalised thanks to a brill nhs dietician) and gradual loss of use of my legs and fingers were pretty bad (I needed a wheelchair) and I expected it to take time to recover but I am doing so, and I'm sure you will too. Currently my balance is nearly normal and my legs are much stronger and I can walk unaided now but still use a stick for stairs and for protection (people usually give you a wide berth if they can see a stick, which is helpful). Every month I can see little changes. It's nearly a year since I was at my worst and I think it may take a little longer yet, but it's taking the course the neurologist described. Control of the diabetes was the only treatment I was offered help with and it is crucial to your recovery, so I hope it's going well for you. So, I just wanted to say, take heart. I know what you're suffering, because I've been there, but I can also let you know that I'm much better too. Like I say it's a slow process but if you'd like to email me privately to ask more let me know and I'll send details. I'm quite happy to post here too of course!

Hello Zena22 from a fellow sufferer. I'm the one who has posted here (read back through this thread) with my symptoms and experiences and it's probably time for another update!! I'm with you on the lack of information but it sounds as if I'm a bit further on in my illness so if there's anything you think I might be able to help with, please ask away. Looking back I realize that I've had a really bad dose of amyotrophy- not every case is severe - and the pain, muscle wastage, loss of weight (I just avoided being hospitalised thanks to a brill nhs dietician) and gradual loss of use of my legs and fingers were pretty bad (I needed a wheelchair) and I expected it to take time to recover but I am doing so, and I'm sure you will too. Currently my balance is nearly normal and my legs are much stronger and I can walk unaided now but still use a stick for stairs and for protection (people usually give you a wide berth if they can see a stick, which is helpful). Every month I can see little changes. It's nearly a year since I was at my worst and I think it may take a little longer yet, but it's taking the course the neurologist described. Control of the diabetes was the only treatment I was offered help with and it is crucial to your recovery, so I hope it's going well for you. So, I just wanted to say, take heart. I know what you're suffering, because I've been there, but I can also let you know that I'm much better too. Like I say it's a slow process but if you'd like to email me privately to ask more let me know and I'll send details. I'm quite happy to post here too of course!
ps I have foot drop too, it's part of the amyotrophy. It's still in my left foot but it also is getting stronger.

Dear Anna42, it was lovely to hear from a fellow sufferer, I’ve been having a bit of a tough time at the moment. I would like to email you privately to ask some more questions. So could you let me have your address. ThanksZena

Dear Anna42, it was lovely to hear from a fellow sufferer, I’ve been having a bit of a tough time at the moment. I would like to email you privately to ask some more questions. So could you let me have your address. ThanksZena
Hiya - I've sent you a private message (top right, little box with the envelope on it)

From the information I have read, diabetic amyotrophy causes notable muscle wastage and weakness resulting in people having their leg suddenly give way as they are walking and loss of stability and mobility as a result rather than pain being the primary symptom.
I would wonder about another possible cause than a diabetes complication. I am not sure how quickly statin side effects take to alleviate but I'm not sure you could rule that out just yet. Other ailments like Polymyalgia Rheumatica could be responsible. Inka's suggestion that it might be related to your Lantus is worth exploring too.

As regards my switch to Fiasp, it was because "Novo" is not so "Rapid" for me and I was needing to give it about an hour and a quarter prebolus time at breakfast to prevent spiking and about 30 mins at other times of day. Fiasp is marginally quicker at 45mins for breakfast and 20-25 at other times of the day. Unfortunately my digestive system is very fast, so the glucose hits my blood stream really quick, even on a low carb high fat diet, but I seem to be quite slow to absorb insulin. I'm not totally sold on Fiasp but we have eventually (after 2 trials and several months of me disliking it) found a way of working together successfully most of the time. I am torn between asking to try something else (Lyumjev or Apidra) but the thought of going through more months of frustration trying to unlearn my strategies with Fiasp and figure out a way to make another insulin work for me is holding me back. I am now a year down the line with Fiasp and said I would give it a full year's trial this time rather than giving up after a couple of months last time.... so it's now a question of sticking with the devil I know or taking a punt on another supposedly "fast" insulin that may be no better or not even as good.
And now, months later, they docs are thinking I have developed rheumatoid arthritis. It ticks the boxes for my symptoms. I've been referred to rheumatology, just waiting to get an appointment. That's three autoimmunes (Type I diabetes, vitiligo, and rheumatoid arthritis), two of which are serious and life altering, that I've developed in the last year. I had the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis early on, it is just something which takes longer to get a diagnosis. A year and a half ago, I was fit, healthy, active, ate well, normal weight, and so on. Life can turn in an instant.

Hello pondita, I'm so sorry to read of your illnesses and hope they can diagnose you correctly before too long and are able to give some relief. I just wanted to add a bit to your statement about pain and the other effects of diabetic amyotrophy being muscle wastage, stability etc. You are right in that they are rotten effects of amyotrophy, but so is pain I'm afraid. It was pretty bad and 24/7 made it debilitating too. I hope in a way that it isn't amyotrophy but if it is, then you at least have the knowledge that it's possible to make a full recovery. My very best wishes to you.

And now, months later, they docs are thinking I have developed rheumatoid arthritis. It ticks the boxes for my symptoms. I've been referred to rheumatology, just waiting to get an appointment. That's three autoimmunes (Type I diabetes, vitiligo, and rheumatoid arthritis), two of which are serious and life altering, that I've developed in the last year. I had the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis early on, it is just something which takes longer to get a diagnosis. A year and a half ago, I was fit, healthy, active, ate well, normal weight, and so on. Life can turn in an instant.
I'm so sorry to hear this, and of course wish you all the best. Take great care, hugs xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back