I'd almost laugh..

Gildersleeve

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
He/Him
More or less a fasting reading approx 6.1mmol. After two hours of eating very lightly 7.1mmol
So I am still not reducing much or getting above those readings. Making certain I am dropping enough blood on the test strips

I feel fine in myself. Not hyper or overly tired.

Weight 10st. BMI 24 which is classed as healthy. Coming down or staying maintained. Not increasing. Approx 5' 4"in height. Male.

Doing what I can. Following what I know from here. Leaflets the Dr's surgery supplied. The book recommended to me The First Year Type 2 Diabetes by Gretchen Becker. Even though technically I am pre-diabetic.

Oh and I did a test in recent days. Tried one chocolate biscuit. One square of chocolate. I said I was never a big sweet/biscuit eater.

You know what. I don't if knowing I have possible issues with sweet tasting items or it is a genuine dislike. I have found myself thinking "Do I actually like chocolate? Am I bothered about it?"

This could actually be a good thing and may make eating what is considered good natural foods and following a decent diet much easier.

Last edited:
Firstly I must apologise as I may have mis-gendered you in another post and referred to you as "she" instead of "he" .

Secondly, those BG readings of 6.1 and 7.1 are in the normal range, so you should not feel hyper because they are good results.
I feel a bit the same as you about things not tasting as great as I remembered, but for me it is the likes of bread and potatoes which I am a bit disappointed with now on the rare occasions when I have them and, other than the convenience and custom, I really wonder why I loved them so much!

Your dietary approach need to be one which is enjoyable and sustainable so if you fancy a square of dark chocolate or the odd biscuit then it will likely do no harm. It is if those become a routine thing you have to ask yourself do I really want it.
Remember the blood is sucked into the end of the strip by touching it into the drop not put on top of the strip.

Firstly I must apologise as I may have mis-gendered you in another post and referred to you as "she" instead of "he" .

Secondly, those BG readings of 6.1 and 7.1 are in the normal range, so you should not feel hyper because they are good results.
I feel a bit the same as you about things not tasting as great as I remembered, but for me it is the likes of bread and potatoes which I am a bit disappointed with now on the rare occasions when I have them and, other than the convenience and custom, I really wonder why I loved them so much!
Thanks. I have to be positive about from what you say. But to add this hiccup or warning has offered me the chance to be more aware of what could be a problem if you don't take care. What many of us could miss. Not to be obsessive but not to ignore possible signs.

Doing your checks keeps you ahead of your Dr's surgery. They say check your blood pressure. Some years ago pharmacies had promotions to have your sugar levels and blood pressure checked for free. That idea seems to have been dropped.

Now you are likely to be surprised by your local surgery who when you hit a certain age (usually when you are older)I turned 66 at the end of May. They invite you in for a chat. Do tests and then sometimes give you a shock and stress you out. Though they will say that this is caring for you.

Last edited:
Remember the blood is sucked into the end of the strip by touching it into the drop not put on top of the strip.
Yes, I meant to mention something about that as the mention of dropping blood onto the test strip didn't sound right.

@Gildersleeve When you get the drop of blood on your finger, you then hold the meter with the test strip sticking slightly downwards so that the very edge of the test strip just touches the pin prick of blood on your finger. My meter suggests doing so at a roughly 45degree downward angle so that the test strip actually sucks the blood upwards into itself by capillary action. I wonder if your technique for testing hasn't been correct and that is why you were getting low readings. If you are unsure that you understand what we are describing then I suggest you go to YouTube and watch some tutorials on "using a BG meter". There may be specific ones for the particular model of BG meter you have but most work the same.

As well as looking for tutorials on YouTube you might also find this page about self-testing informative. It includes a video:-

Well worth a look.

Back