Ice/sos

Status
Not open for further replies.

karinagal

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Do you wear a medic alert piece of jewellery and if so which one do you wear/recommend?

As a diet controlled T2, is there any need for me to carry something like this?

Karina

Do you wear a medic alert piece of jewellery and if so which one do you wear/recommend?

As a diet controlled T2, is there any need for me to carry something like this?

Karina

Hi Karina, I am Type 2 controlled with Metformin and although my BG is now in the normal range and I dont suffer hypos or hypers (the highest I have ever been is 11.1) I ordered a medic alert braclet last week. I also put on mine my blood group and that I am an organ donor (if they could use them).

https://secure.medicalert.org.uk/shop.php?action=category&id=7

But to answer your original question, I suppose it depends on each individual person, but I would recommend.

i have a set of dogtags i bought off amazon and have my name, dob, address and partners contact details on them. also have that i am type 1 and other alergies

i would say they are really worth a look

All i have is a card that slots into my purse it has my type of diabetes my medication name addy and phone number

All i have is a card that slots into my purse it has my type of diabetes my medication name addy and phone number

i have a card for my wallet to steff

Karinagal, to answer your original question - medical ID is only treaaly needed if (a) you are unable to speak to medical staff yourself, through being unconscious, for example, and (b) it's of the sort of design and in the sort of location they will look for it, and (c) you actually wear it.
If you've never been unconscious through hypoglycaemia nor hyperhyperglycaemia, nor even near to unconsciousness for those reasons, I'd say it's not worth the money. But if you feel it will make you less worried, then, perhaps it is worth it.
I should add, that, even with type 1 diabetes, but good hypoglycaemia awareness and never having needed help from another person, I don't wear any medical ID jewellery, partly because I never wear any jewellery except for a wrist watch (worn attached to neck work ID band so I can wash my hands properly for infection control purposes). When travelling overseas, I always memorise a few words, please, thank you, bread, sugar, diabetes, insulin etc in the local language(s) - actually, diabetes and insulin are roughly the same in all the languages I've encountered so far in Europe, Middle East & Latin America. When I was knocked off my bike by a car door (less than 1 mile from home), I told all the people who helped, passer-by, then ambulance staff, then A&E staff, that I had type 1 diabetes, so that if I did lose consciousness, they'd know, but I stayed conscious until the general anaesthetic. So, talking can be a good substitute for medical ID jewellery.

What a good idea cazscot about adding the organ donor bit, but one of the ID bracelelts I use woudln't have enough room - got a card in my credit-card wallet tho' as well asone for diabetes. I have another fabric wrist-band I wear when running or swimming.

Copepod, I thought your idea of learning the relelvant words in the language of the country your visiting was a sound idea - thanks (not that Im travelling much at mo, but it is a future plan!)

Karinagal - there have been a few threads about ID stuff and I remember one saying that emergency staff will only take note of obvous ID type bracelets (I had already bought a beaded one - not so obvious), in case that helps.

i too have dog tags - they cost me ?4 off ebay with free eengraving. the front one is red and has DIABETIC plus the medical symbol, and the back one is black and has my name, dob, important numbers, the fact i'm type 1 diabetic and allergic to penicillin.

Copepod, I thought your idea of learning the relelvant words in the language of the country your visiting was a sound idea - thanks (not that Im travelling much at mo, but it is a future plan!)

As we have only been to America each year for the past 5 years think I might just be able to learn the words :D

To register as a potential organ donor in the UK, there are several ways listed on this webpage: http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/how_to_become_a_donor.jsp
Also, link to questions and answers at bottom of text, before you sign up.
It's probably more reliable to join register than have anything on a medical ID card / jewellery.

I am on the UK register, carry the laminated card that was sent to me and have told the relevent members of my family as well, I just thought it would be useful on the bracelet as well...🙂

Thanks everyone!

Decided I will hold fire for the moment but possibly put suggestions in my letter to Santa or on my birthday wishlist.. As I've never (yet) had a hypo or hyper, and am not on any medication, might opt for the SOS type where addtl info can be easily added as or if necessary.

Thanks everyone for input, much appreciated.

Karina :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back