1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Ibuprofen

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by SB2015, Jul 14, 2019 at 10:29 AM.

1. SB2015

SB2015 Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 1
    Has anyone else been told not to use Ibuprofen if you have T1.

Currently on diazepam, codiene and paracetamol for a hip that has seized up. Ibuprofen was mentioned and I said I was told not to use it, but I can’t remember why. Any advice?

It is a good time, if there is ever a good time for this. All activities cancelled, and I get to see the tennis. I use the change of ends in each tennis match as a prompt to do my stretches,
    get up and walk around as best I can.

2. mikeyB

mikeyB Well-Known Member

Type 1
    That’s just being ultra careful. Non steroidal Anti Inflammatory medications can very rarely cause kidney damage. This is marginally more likely in diabetes, but the risk is still tiny. Not as risky as taking codeine, which loses its efficacy after a while, and is addictive. You can take ibuprofen with patacetamol, of course.

SB2015 likes this.
  3. Michael12420

Michael12420 Well-Known Member

Type 1
    The important thing to remember with Ibuprofen is that it should not be taken on an empty stomach. I use this for my rheumatism and it is much better than Paracetamol for reducing the inflammation and pain.

SB2015 likes this.
  4. Sally71

Sally71 Well-Known Member

Parent
    Our DSN said the only time you need to worry about using ibuprofen with T1 is if you are developing complications. Which makes sense given what @mikeyB said about rare instances of kidney damage.

SB2015 likes this.
  5. SB2015

SB2015 Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Thanks MikeyB
    When you say codeine loses its efficacy after a while, I only take this when in extreme pain. Presumably it will work for a week. What I am not sure is to whether to switch from the codeine to ibuprofen now, or wait until the week is up (or earlier if things settle - which it doesn’t feel like it ever will at present but then I am not a very patient patient)

6. Eddy Edson

Eddy Edson Well-Known Member

Type 2
    (OT) Completely irrelevant to the discussion, but I had elevated eosinophils a couple of blood tests back, and we zeroed in on ibuprofen as the likely cause. It's a known thing, apparently. I'd been popping them for a neck prob. When I switched to paracetamol the eosinophils subsided.

7. DaveB

DaveB Well-Known Member

Type 1.5 LADA
    I don't know about diabetes as such but kidney damage thru ibuprofen isn't that rare and is best avoided in long-term use. Both my wife and my brothers nephrology and rheumatism consultants have recommended avoiding ibuprofen due to kidney damage risk.

SB2015 likes this.
  8. SB2015

SB2015 Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Thanks for the info.
    I think it was kidney defence that had been the reason for 5e advice, but I can’t remember who told me that.
    I shall stick with codeine for this week with the diazepam and paracetamol. If I am still in as much pain at th end of the week I shall see my GP and see where we go from there.