i won the ketosticks war!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
...with my doctor. Hurray! She was still really put out that she had to prescribe me them as she saw no need for me to have them apparently. My argument was 'well i dont want to have ketones, and if per chance i do end up with them in DKA because i havent known i've got them, I'll be holding you responsible'

she gave them to me

yay :D

but apparently according to her, there is no way on earth you can test for ketones via a blood test. As I asked if it was possible to get one of those. Silly woman. Roll on the day when I can get to southampton!

...with my doctor. Hurray! She was still really put out that she had to prescribe me them as she saw no need for me to have them apparently. My argument was 'well i dont want to have ketones, and if per chance i do end up with them in DKA because i havent known i've got them, I'll be holding you responsible'

she gave them to me

but apparently according to her, there is no way on earth you can test for ketones via a blood test. As I asked if it was possible to get one of those. Silly woman. Roll on the day when I can get to southampton!

WTF !!!?? What the hell is she talking about !! of course ketones show up in blood for gods sake , they show up in blood earlier than in urine so ketone blood test strips are better to have. As a doctor she must know that type 1s need some sort of access to ketone testing for illness / high levels etc . Hmm is she related to my doctor aka the vet by any chance sam?

she gave them to me

Hi Sam...

What is wrong with these IDIOT Doctors.....aaaarrrggghhhhhh...I think they should all go back to med school and study diabetes on an individual part of the exam...say a years worth...and they do not pass there EXAMS WITHOUT A DISTINCTION...in this field.

I can say no more.....stupid woman.......and second what AM has said

Heidi
xx🙂

Hmm is she related to my doctor aka the vet by any chance sam?[/QUOTE said:
Hang on - you have to study hard to be a vet and be kind to dumb animals - sounds like these Drs don't know how to do either properly !! Faith

Grr indeed! Well done for getting it sorted out. I once saw a GP who when I asked for Ketostix to be put on repeat prescription said "well, we'll see how many of them you need in the future" as if diabetes was something that was going to go away!

It's a bit wasteful that they only come in boxes of 50, when I actually need about 1 every 6 months, and they expire 6 months after opening too, so what else can you do? But they are actually pretty cheap compared to everything else we need, so you wouldn't think they'd be so stingy about prescribing them.

Hang on - you have to study hard to be a vet and be kind to dumb animals - sounds like these Drs don't know how to do either properly !! Faith

Good point Faith , I wouldnt actually trust my doctor with my dog anyway lol 😱

Well done Sam,

Does the box really expire after 6 months, hmm need to check mine then, thanks for the tip Pigeon.

mine are about 4 years out of date, but i still use them if im worried about ketones haha oops 😉

I've always been really surprised how quickly they are supposed to expire once opened, I don't think I really pay too much attention to it though...ooops!

she gave them to me

Dear Salmonpuff,

Well done, as others have said your Dr. needs to go back to medical school. I have a meter, the optium exceed, that will measure ketones if you use the appropriate strips - has she never heard about that!! However, I use ketostix because they are sufficient for my purpose and yes they expire 6 months after opening them.

Warmest Regards Dodger

hi sam pleased you won the war on the stix but like all have said she needs to take her medical tests again or something silly person

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back