I watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine54

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does anybody here use an I watch to check blood sugars? I am wondering how that could work.

My daughter has blood sugar data displayed on her iWatch, but it's basically just picking up the Dexcom data from her phone. If you’ve seen any of these watches which claim to actually be reading your blood sugar through your skin, then they don’t work. It's just a gimmick and somewhere in the small print there is a disclaimer stating that it is not medically accurate. “Completely fabricated” would be more precise, someone on here bought one and posted a picture of the data, it was absolutely identical every single day!

I think @mikeyB was doing that at one point with Dexcom sensors?

My daughter has blood sugar data displayed on her iWatch, but it's basically just picking up the Dexcom data from her phone. If you’ve seen any of these watches which claim to actually be reading your blood sugar through your skin, then they don’t work. It's just a gimmick and somewhere in the small print there is a disclaimer stating that it is not medically accurate. “Completely fabricated” would be more precise, someone on here bought one and posted a picture of the data, it was absolutely identical every single day!
i bought a watch advertised as a blood glucose monitor. This watch is dangerous if Someone relies on its readings, mine is always showing half of what my Tee2+ reads, however, as a watch only it keeps excellent time.

i bought a watch advertised as a blood glucose monitor. This watch is dangerous if Someone relies on its readings, mine is always showing half of what my Tee2+ reads, however, as a watch only it keeps excellent time.
There are so many threads on this forum now about such watches. From what I’ve read I think everything else they do is perfectly good, it’s just the blood sugar reading which is fake. Why on earth would you put a fake function on when everything else is accurate? Is it just to get people to buy them, as there is clearly a market for an item which can read your blood sugar without being invasive. Unfortunately, such technology does not yet exist, although it may be in development. I agree with you that that’s really bad, if people have bought them believing them to be true, isn’t there a law about false advertising or false product descriptions or something? How are these companies getting away with it? Just putting a disclaimer in the small print clearly isn’t enough.

Is it just to get people to buy them, as there is clearly a market for an item which can read your blood sugar without being invasive.
I think so. There may be some element of believing that whatever they're measuring does correlate with BG.

While they don't work for people with diabetes, I wonder if the correlation does work for people without diabetes? (Not saying it's of any value, but it might not be random.)

image_2023-08-14_141344397.png

Thanks to you all for the feedback. Im so glad I posed the question. I WONT be buying one!

Reactions: lyn
I WONT be buying one!
Don't buy a watch that claims to measure blood glucose, no. (Not for a while, at least.)

But if you have a CGM (and everyone in England at least should be able to get one prescribed) then it's reasonable to try and get that displaying on a watch, if that seems useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back