I was tested for diabetes, but tests came back okay

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxxnde

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi all! I’m new to this forum.
I was tested for diabetes in early January due to low blood sugar issues I’ve been having since I was 12 years old (I’m 18 now). The tests performed were A1c and fasting glucose, A1c was 5.3% and fasting glucose was 78 mg/dL. For some context, any time I ate I would get certain symptoms a few hours later, and the only thing that would help me was drinking soda or eating again. The symptoms I would get (and still currently get) were dizziness, nausea, shakiness, and heart palpitations. If I wait and don’t act fast I become too weak to really stand and I get very confused, and I almost pass out. The nurse practitioner who ordered the tests said that since both came back fine, she will not worry about any of the symptoms. I recently got a new blood glucose monitor and my blood sugar has been all over the place. It’ll be a bit low (around 75 mg/dL) to kind of high (185 mg/dL) and it is rarely ever stable throughout the day. I’m going to see another GP for a second opinion, but I’d like to know what you guys think!
Edit: What I feel that I should add as well is that I do have family history of diabetes. My mother & grandfather are both diabetic (type 2).

Hi all! I’m new to this forum.
I was tested for diabetes in early January due to low blood sugar issues I’ve been having since I was 12 years old (I’m 18 now). The tests performed were A1c and fasting glucose, A1c was 5.3% and fasting glucose was 78 mg/dL. For some context, any time I ate I would get certain symptoms a few hours later, and the only thing that would help me was drinking soda or eating again. The symptoms I would get (and still currently get) were dizziness, nausea, shakiness, and heart palpitations. If I wait and don’t act fast I become too weak to really stand and I get very confused, and I almost pass out. The nurse practitioner who ordered the tests said that since both came back fine, she will not worry about any of the symptoms. I recently got a new blood glucose monitor and my blood sugar has been all over the place. It’ll be a bit low (around 75 mg/dL) to kind of high (185 mg/dL) and it is rarely ever stable throughout the day. I’m going to see another GP for a second opinion, but I’d like to know what you guys think!
Edit: What I feel that I should add as well is that I do have family history of diabetes. My mother & grandfather are both diabetic (type 2).
The symptoms you describe sound like reactive hypoglycaemia. Does this sound familiar.
Reactive hypoglycemia is the general term for having a hypo after eating, which is when blood glucose levels become dangerously low following a meal. Also known as postprandial hypoglycemia, drops in blood sugar are usually recurrent and occur within four hours after eating.

I'm not saying that is what it is but worth considering and putting the question to your GP.

Keep a good record of blood glucose readings and your food intake as evidence.
You seem to be quoting blood glucose in mg/dl so are you not in the UK as here we normally use mmol/l. It can be converted by dividing the mg/dl by 18.

Those blood sugars are within the normal range. 75 is 4.2mmol and is a normal blood sugar for someone without diabetes. 185 is just over 10 and in people without diabetes their blood sugar can get into the 10s after a meal.

Are you very overweight? 18 yrs old would be very young to get Type 2, and your HbA1C is normal.

Just to be clear - blood glucose does move up and down. It’s not supposed to be stable. It moves up and down within a range. That’s completely normal.

As you’ve bought a glucose meter, you might as well do a few tests to get use out of it. Good times to test would be just before a meal, 1hr after the start time of your meal, 2hrs after the start time, and definitely test when you get your symptoms.

What are you generally eating for your meals - ie are you eating properly/enough? Have you had your blood pressure tested in case it’s a bit low? And have you had things like anaemia ruled out?

The readings you've shared sound totally normal for a non-diabetic to me and 75 isn't low, blood sugar isn't supposed to be flat it is normal for it to vary. Your hba1c is also in the normal range and not low or high.

The readings you've shared sound totally normal for a non-diabetic to me and 75 isn't low, blood sugar isn't supposed to be flat it is normal for it to vary. Your hba1c is also in the normal range and not low or high.
For me 75 is enough for me to start feeling shaky, and it’ll progress until I either eat or drink soda. It’ll continue to go down into the 60’s, I just forgot to mention that in the post. I’m not exactly sure how low it actually gets when I’m about to pass out because I’ll get so shaky and weak that I won’t be able to set up my blood sugar monitor to check it

Those blood sugars are within the normal range. 75 is 4.2mmol and is a normal blood sugar for someone without diabetes. 185 is just over 10 and in people without diabetes their blood sugar can get into the 10s after a meal.

Are you very overweight? 18 yrs old would be very young to get Type 2, and your HbA1C is normal.

Just to be clear - blood glucose does move up and down. It’s not supposed to be stable. It moves up and down within a range. That’s completely normal.

As you’ve bought a glucose meter, you might as well do a few tests to get use out of it. Good times to test would be just before a meal, 1hr after the start time of your meal, 2hrs after the start time, and definitely test when you get your symptoms.

What are you generally eating for your meals - ie are you eating properly/enough? Have you had your blood pressure tested in case it’s a bit low? And have you had things like anaemia ruled out?
There have been quite a few times where I’ve tested around 2 hours after soda or a full meal and it’s been 185-190 mg/dL. When I do start to get shaky though, my blood sugar is usually 75 mg/dL or a little under, and the symptoms get worse as my blood sugar continues to drop. Each time I’ve seen a doctor or nurse practitioner they have tested my blood pressure and they say it’s always pretty good.
Edit: I’m not *very* overweight, but my BMI is 27, so that would still put me in the overweight category.

Last edited:
For me 75 is enough for me to start feeling shaky, and it’ll progress until I either eat or drink soda. It’ll continue to go down into the 60’s, I just forgot to mention that in the post. I’m not exactly sure how low it actually gets when I’m about to pass out because I’ll get so shaky and weak that I won’t be able to set up my blood sugar monitor to check it

65 is 3.6 mmol and even 60 is only 3.3. These are normal blood sugars. Perhaps a) you’re just more sensitive to the feeling of your blood sugar moving down, and b) your diet isn’t the best that it could be to reduce these feelings of moving blood sugar.

Eat a healthy diet with regular meals and snacks if needed. Make sure you choose proper foods rather than junk foods. Aim for lower GI foods and make sure you’re getting enough protein and fibre. Some people can go hours without eating, and some need regular food. You sound like the latter, but, again, eat well. If someone were to eat junk food - high GI junk carbs, sugary soda, etc - the natural movement of their blood sugar could be more spiky.

Out of interest, @pxxnde , do you eat much diet food with artificial sweeteners?
I ask because some time ago I read that some bodies react to the sweeteners thinking they are real sugar so release insulin to mange it. Because there is no carbs in the food, their blood sugar levels drop.

However, I agree with @Inka that your levels are not frightening low for someone who does not inject insulin, especially when you consider the error factor of blood glucose meters - a 65 could be a 75 within the scope for allowed errors.
If your body doesn't like these lower levels, it may be a good idea to work out what food triggers it - high GI foods such as soda are very likely candidates - and avoid them.

I see you are posting from California @pxxnde . No problem. Although we are UK based we have, and welcome, many overseas members. I only point this out because lifestyle and medical practice varies widely between countries and both need to be thought about when it comes to diabetes diagnosis and management.

Like the others, my experience would suggest that what you describe is unlikely to be diabetes related. My thought would be to go back to your medical practitioner and pose the simple question. If the tests do not show diabetes, then what do you think is causing my symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back