I was felling pretty plesed with myslef today but i then a litlle bit of blip. And people. And people geting surger free things

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
So today when it came to lunch i was fellinh pretty please with myslef today. I was finded i was. Ending up oh the low 4s by lunch recentlly so today. So today i decided to closed i took half a unit of my backfast even if i had been doing nothing So i decided to see if that made a difference(i will speek to my team before adjusting anything permitty when i go on tuesday i may go with the half an unit less for next couple of days we'll see). Then by lunch time i was 5.8 and only thing i had eatten was avert caldering cholate without insulin this time) and i thought to myslef thats prety good going considering i was mu feet a bit as was helping with a kids christmas pretty at chuch. Then this afternoon i check toodays and i was 4.3(for some reason i felt the need to double check again i shouldnt just belived the 4.3 and had a biscut rather wasteing time and poisbly a strip as i oblssky was droping it said 3.9 after that) im not blaming the leivemir this timw im puting down to me for rounding a 2.8 to 3(i would have done this when i could only do whole units) up to instead rounding down 2.5.

Next thing Does anyone else have people buy them surger free stuff i do apperate the gustire and i used to make the same connection. I dont really know to tell them without making feel bad

I go with something like
“When they make sugar free versions of things they replace the sugar with sweeteners which act as a laxative. It’s better for me to just have normal foods and adjust my insulin to account for it.”

I go with something like
“When they make sugar free versions of things they replace the sugar with sweeteners which act as a laxative. It’s better for me to just have normal foods and adjust my insulin to account for it.”
i got given surger free sweets today as thank you for something as guess how much carbhyhate they have in them

i got given surger free sweets today as thank you for something as guess how much carbhyhate they have in them
athough i do apperate the thought and effort.

aslo i think my evening dose isn;t enough it would but wearry given my slef a tad extra to see if i'm right but it the evening now i seem to bit a bit high its onlly one more day until i'll see my team so i supose one more day being a tad high in the evening won't hurt until i speak to them to see if i'm right.

aslo i think my evening dose isn;t enough it would but wearry given my slef a tad extra to see if i'm right but it the evening now i seem to bit a bit high its onlly one more day until i'll see my team so i supose one more day being a tad high in the evening won't hurt until i speak to them to see if i'm right.
That is a wise decision. It is better to be a bit high on an evening as too low as risk a night time hypo, especially when you are relatively newly diagnosed and probably in the honeymoon period, when your own insulin production might suddenly chip in when you least expect it.

Sugar free stuff (apart from tasting nasty) is a nightmare to carb count for, because it normally gives a carb figure in the Nutritional Info, but if it’s Maltodextrin, the body can’t absorb the carbs, so they are 'free' ie, you don’t need insulin for them. (And if they pass straight through you..that brings its own problems…)
A friend once gave me a lovely box of Spanish Turron (a sort of nougat) which I love, for Christmas, but then I noticed it was sugar free, so I had to be careful of the laxative effect, and it had a really odd texture. I’d rather have had a box of the normal stuff, and bolused for it. I never told her, I just hoped she never gave me anything like it again. (And she hasn’t, I think I dropped a few general comments about what I could and couldn’t eat over the course of the following year!)

That is a wise decision. It is better to be a bit high on an evening as too low as risk a night time hypo, especially when you are relatively newly diagnosed and probably in the honeymoon period, when your own insulin production might suddenly chip in when you least expect it.
Sorry i meant my evening dose for food curentlly i do 1:10 at backfast(however knocked half a unit off this morning as i started suspacting that was a tad too much since changing backround) 1:15 at lunch time and 1:20 at dinner. Im starting to think my radtio is the same for each time of day and the trisbia was making up for it. It would nice if im righr as there be know more "right its this time of day which means i i need amout of insullin per carb"

Sugar free stuff (apart from tasting nasty) is a nightmare to carb count for, because it normally gives a carb figure in the Nutritional Info, but if it’s Maltodextrin, the body can’t absorb the carbs, so they are 'free' ie, you don’t need insulin for them. (And if they pass straight through you..that brings its own problems…)
A friend once gave me a lovely box of Spanish Turron (a sort of nougat) which I love, for Christmas, but then I noticed it was sugar free, so I had to be careful of the laxative effect, and it had a really odd texture. I’d rather have had a box of the normal stuff, and bolused for it. I never told her, I just hoped she never gave me anything like it again. (And she hasn’t, I think I dropped a few general comments about what I could and couldn’t eat over the course of the following year!)
At first i i just saw sweets before seeing surger free and thougt " great hypo treement which i dont have to pay for"

So would i need insullin for these. Would they make my blood surger go up? It the ingreaits do say potato satch so i was thinking thats were so i that were the carbs are coming from so tlit says of which polyois which im.not sure what they are

Attachments

• received_270624818259480.jpeg
    received_270624818259480.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 15
So would i need insullin for these. Would they make my blood surger go up? It the ingreaits do say potato satch so i was thinking thats were so i that were the carbs are coming from so tlit says of which polyois which im.not sure what they are
The polyols are the carbs that aren’t absorbed by the body, so you shouldn't need to count them. Most of the carb seems to consist of the polyols, and the amount of other carb left is so small, I personally wouldn’t need insulin for it. Because there is so much polyol, though, I wouldn’t eat too much at once, before you have a chance to see what effect they have on your guts! Mine are fairly cast iron, so I don’t tend to have much of a reaction, but others find they are trotting to the loo fairly regularly if they overdo it.

The polyols are the carbs that aren’t absorbed by the body, so you shouldn't need to count them. Most of the carb seems to consist of the polyols, and the amount of other carb left is so small, I personally wouldn’t need insulin for it. Because there is so much polyol, though, I wouldn’t eat too much at once, before you have a chance to see what effect they have on your guts! Mine are fairly cast iron, so I don’t tend to have much of a reaction, but others find they are trotting to the loo fairly regularly if they overdo it.
i looked them up and it sats they paerlly absobsed. i have been given surger free cokies before which i did count as seems i needed to.

Sugar Free cookies would still contain flour which is a significant ingredient in them, so yes you would need to count the carbs in those but the sweets have almost no carbs in them, so unless you were going to eat a lot of them in one go, then you would not need to bolus for them.

Sugar Free cookies would still contain flour which is a significant ingredient in them, so yes you would need to count the carbs in those but the sweets have almost no carbs in them, so unless you were going to eat a lot of them in one go, then you would not need to bolus for them.
i might be best not eating them to avoid any compications

that photo i just one o the 3 things

One or two every now and then are not going to cause you any problems. Try them, you might like them. I went through a phase of sugar free sweets when I started going low carb and I certainly did enjoy them. I preferred the boiled sweets (little boxes of Rhubarb and Custard Sula sweets were my preference) My partner who is not diabetic used to enjoy them too, especially if we were on long car journey together. I think they were about 2.5g carbs per sweet and I certainly didn't bolus for them. I don't feel the need for sweets now other than an occasional half a square of dark chocolate with a spoonful of peanut butter and I don't bolus for that either and it has more carbs but I don't have it if my levels are at the top end of my range, only when I am a bit lower and have room for a little rise it will cause.

Sounds like you are doing great @rayray119

Hope you find the sugar free sweets are OK in small quantities. It is hard to know what to do when people have been kind and thoughtful enough to buy something, and have tried to make it suitable, not realising how sugar free can be a bit tricky!

going to this back to theard because its great when you feel listened that same person that gave me the surger free sweets gave me a late christmas present that was ful of hot chocolate today.

Last edited:
My brother found out the hard way that artificial sweeteners act like laxatives! He does not have diabetes, but for some reason had two bags of sugar free Werthers and thought great, won’t have to worry about overdoing the sugar and pigged the lot. Then spent most of the next two days on the toilet... 😱😱:D:D

Being who he is he’s turned it into a positive though, and said to me that at least if he’s ever constipated he knows how to cure it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back