I start shaking uncontrollably on the way up, not the way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsweetenough

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi there. M3 Humulin, Victoza and Libre 2 user. Having been almost permanently hyperglycaemic for around 5 years I am now on insulin. Very low sugars are new to me. What I've noticed is that my liver does the thing you'd expect from a Type 2 and it dumps a load of sugar into my system when I drop below 4.5 so I'm not really having any scary hypos (yet). But what I've also noticed is that I don't start shaking until I'm on the way back up. I feel fairly ok when I'm really low. Went to 3.4 last night and just felt a little hungry and "hangovery". But then I go back up again and I can barely pick anything up and it doesn't abate until around 8 or 9. Is that your experience? As I say, I'm new to hypo.

Well at that level you aren't actually hypo. However because your body just isn't used to running at normal BG levels - it thinks it's too low, and as you say - attempts to correct it, itself.

It WILL get used to running lower, honest. Can't tell you how long that will be - different for every single person on the planet.

Steel yourself and do summat else when it starts, literally anything, to try and distract your brain.

Well at that level you aren't actually hypo. However because your body just isn't used to running at normal BG levels - it thinks it's too low, and as you say - attempts to correct it, itself.

It WILL get used to running lower, honest. Can't tell you how long that will be - different for every single person on the planet.

Steel yourself and do summat else when it starts, literally anything, to try and distract your brain.
Thank you Jenny. 4 weeks in to insulin and I already feel better at lower BGs than I did at the beginning. Yes, I've been just cracking on because I didn't want to really hit the sugar unless I absolutely have to and I guess I'm experimenting to see how low I go before I need to intervene. And that includes eating something which ideally I'd rather avoid as I know I'll just pile the weight on.

My guess is that you are having a delayed response to the cortisol or adrenaline the body releases in response to the low BG which then triggers the liver. I have this sometimes where I get mild hypo symptoms, treat the hypo and as my levels start to come back up, I start to feel really bad with the heart pounding and shakes and sweating. It doesn't happen so often these days and not every time I go hypo and it doesn't totally correlate to particularly low hypos, but I am pretty sure it is related to the recovery process rather than the hypo as such.

Thanks. I reckon it's the adrenaline. I always did shake like a leaf when that kicks in. Afraid of heights and couldn't go climbing because my legs tremble and buckle. Have to hide my hands and control my breathing when public speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back