I reversed my diabetes in just 11 days - by going on a starvation diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A family bereavement, high blood pressure, an unavoidable job change. I thought everything came in threes ? but I was wrong. There was more bad news around the corner.

I was a fit 59-year-old and had just had an annual health check at my GP surgery. This revealed I had high blood sugar ? 9millimoles per litre, whereas a normal level is 4-6mmol/l ? and my doctor suggested I could have diabetes.

Further tests confirmed that, yes, I was type 2 diabetic. I was stunned. I have always been a healthy weight (I am 5ft 7in and just 10st 7lb), had no family history of diabetes, ate a healthy diet, never smoked, and I definitely did not have a sweet tooth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...etes-just-11-days--going-starvation-diet.html

It's the Newcastle Diet. At least it's another story about a thin person getting Type 2! 🙂

That's one diet I could not follow, its good it shows that thin people get type 2 as well as us bigger people.

He was thin already, he must be a bean pole now that he has lost more weight, I don't think its really reversed the diabetes, just well and truly controlled or possibly over controlled by the type of diet.

Slow and steady is sustainable - starvation diets are not. Simples. The lessons I learnt in my weight loss phase are proving just as valuable now that I'm in maintenance mode. That's why I keep going to my Slimming World meetings, it keeps me 'in the zone'. There's no equivalent with the shakes diets. I'd like to know what happens in the 6 months after the initial 11 days.

Slow and steady is sustainable - starvation diets are not. Simples. The lessons I learnt in my weight loss phase are proving just as valuable now that I'm in maintenance mode. That's why I keep going to my Slimming World meetings, it keeps me 'in the zone'. There's no equivalent with the shakes diets. I'd like to know what happens in the 6 months after the initial 11 days.

Yes, the article says that a further (I think, without checking) 34 people tried it and were tested over 8 weeks to see what the 'long-term' effect was. Hardly 'long-term'! Also, he says he needs to maintain his weight around 9st - this would give him a BMI of 19.7, which is a bit on the low side I think. Clearly, he is very easily prone to diabetes, genetically, in that he is liable to store fat around his organs, so any lapse means he loses control. In my opinion he still has diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back