I-Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom1982

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Does anyone use a Medtronic I-Port? After a bit of advice. My daughter uses them and we are finding it’s always a lot less effective on the last (third) day. Any advice?

Cheers
Tom

We don’t use them but I assume they’re similar to cannulas in that the site can heal up. My teen was going through a phase of having to change his cannula every 2 days because the sites would stop working or leak. It’s been a little better since he’s out some weight on but even now we’re more likely to have trouble with thighs than belly which we seem to be able to extend to 4 days without issues. Up to 72 hours is very much up to and not guaranteed.

Does anyone use a Medtronic I-Port? After a bit of advice. My daughter uses them and we are finding it’s always a lot less effective on the last (third) day. Any advice?

Cheers
Tom

Similar to cannulas, the site can become slightly inflamed and not work as well. The only real advice is to change it if it’s not working as it should. Avoiding re-using areas too soon can help too.

I used to try to keep cannulas going for three days, but now change when I need to and that is often after two days. If I find a site particularly painful I will just change, rather than ‘wait for it to settle’. A painful site is usually one that will not deliver effectively, so no point in persevering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back