I - Port Advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadia Robertshaw

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I hope you’re all well?

I’m after some advice if possible. I’m considering purchasing this device I-port advance.

So firstly, I’m trying to find out if anybody uses them? If so, what advice,hints and tips would you give?

Thanks in advance

I’m not sure what the funding situation is in the UK for iport advance, but I’ve seen one being used, and it looked like an interesting idea for people who have concerns over injection sites and/or find injections uncomfortable.

Whereabouts are you everydayupsan?

I’m in the UK & since I’ve been put on insulin I’ve struggled with injecting.
So much so that I have to use a TickleFlex to inject.

So I’m really hoping, I’ll be able to get the i-Port on prescription.

Attachments

• 0AC5F714-3B6C-4363-A109-28FA214FBA85.jpeg
    0AC5F714-3B6C-4363-A109-28FA214FBA85.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2
Whereabouts are you everydayupsan?

I’m in the UK & since I’ve been put on insulin I’ve struggled with injecting.
So much so that I have to use a TickleFlex to inject.

So I’m really hoping, I’ll be able to get the i-Port on prescription.

UK based. I was shown an iPort advance as part of a bloggers group at Medtronic HQ in Watford.

I don't think it was generally available on prescription the last time I looked I'm afraid - but the situation might vary across the country and depending on your individual need, so it would certainly be worth checking with your clinic.

I think they cost about £9 or £10 each (and you need to change them every 3 days like pump sites)

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply everydayupsanddowns.

Whilst doing I-Port research I’ve been able to find out that the ports are available on prescription now. I even had email confirmation from the company that supply them .

I’m currently waiting on needles to go with the two I-Ports I’ve ordered.
I currently use 4mm for my insulin but the I-Port require needle size of 6mm or more. I hoping I get the needles prior to my appointment with my DN on Thursday. Then I plan on trying one of the I-ports.

I hoping if I can justify that I need them to the DN on Thursday, I’ll stand a chance of having them on prescription. Fingers crossed (obviously depending if they work for me too).

I tried them after a rep held a presentation at my hospital, but kept getting really high numbers so abandoned them. However, there was no discussion about needle length, which is obviously why they didn't work, as I used 5mm needles. Pretty poor form that the rep didn't mention needle length, or provide needles of the required length to go along with the product they were pitching 🙄
I hope they work for you, let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks for your reply Lucy.

I can’t believe that a rep didn’t discuss with you the needle size. Obviously, that’s quite an important factor in the scheme of using a new device.

I’ve done all the research myself, and just contacted the company for confirmation regarding if they are available on prescription, do they have a trial product. The trial product is what I’ve currently purchased.

It’s two I-ports, which I’ve purchased along with a box of needles. Just waiting on delivery of the needles before I can try one.

I’m hoping the needles arrive before my appointment on Thursday with the DN.

Attachments

• F300C120-CA16-46CF-B616-BB4F64422497.jpeg
    F300C120-CA16-46CF-B616-BB4F64422497.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
My needles are due to arrive tomorrow.

So fingers crossed I’ll be able to use the I-Port prior to my appointment with the DN.

The big question tho, if they work for me....realistically what are the chances of having them on prescription.

I genuinely struggle injecting hence having to use the TickleFlex. So I wonder if the DN would take that into consideration?????

Had my appointment with the DN today, and I have to say it was very positive regarding the I - Port.

She said she would do her very best to try and secure it on prescription for me. So you can’t asked for anymore than that.

I have started using the sample pack I ordered, and injecting via the port has made an amazing difference immediately.

Normally, my blood glucose levels fluctuate considerably during the day. Well today they have been in single figures all day .

Myself & my mum have come to the conclusion that I may not have been having my full dose of insulin when administering it via the TickleFlex.

Whereas, the i - Port is designed to make sure you receive the full amount. So hopefully, that will be another reason for securing it on prescription.

My DN has also increased the number of times I’ll be injecting daily, so obviously that is another factor in justifying having it. She also made a point in saying to me I do inject more than twice a day so that should help my argument.

So I will keep you all posted with developments regarding the i-Port.

Had my appointment with the DN today, and I have to say it was very positive regarding the I - Port.

She said she would do her very best to try and secure it on prescription for me. So you can’t asked for anymore than that.

I have started using the sample pack I ordered, and injecting via the port has made an amazing difference immediately.

Normally, my blood glucose levels fluctuate considerably during the day. Well today they have been in single figures all day .

Myself & my mum have come to the conclusion that I may not have been having my full dose of insulin when administering it via the TickleFlex.

Whereas, the i - Port is designed to make sure you receive the full amount. So hopefully, that will be another reason for securing it on prescription.

My DN has also increased the number of times I’ll be injecting daily, so obviously that is another factor in justifying having it. She also made a point in saying to me I do inject more than twice a day so that should help my argument.

So I will keep you all posted with developments regarding the i-Port.
Hi Nadia, I was interested about this post as my daughter is 2 years in as a T1 and can’t self inject. How did this pan out for you?

Hi Nadia, I was interested about this post as my daughter is 2 years in as a T1 and can’t self inject. How did this pan out for you?
You may not get a reply as Nadia has not posted for a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back