• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 21371
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 21371

Another day, another check up.
Well, this one was my annual review.
All good, all boxes ticked, all bloods in range, feet still tickly, eyes ok, weight the same as last year, "carry on doing whatever you're doing".

So we spent the rest of the appointment talking about the effects type 2 have on people.
Treatments, drugs, statins, side effects, impact on lifestyle.
I'm always brutally honest about myself, when I was diagnosed I swore I would never let diabetes take over, either in diabetic complications, or by altering what I wanted to do and affecting my life that way, and I always tell the truth at the surgery, good and bad.

My HCP said she likes the word "balance" as she likes to describe it.
Looking after everything, physically and mentally.

Everything in control, still doing exactly what we wanted and planned to do.
Overeating, (and drinking) to a reasonable degree, if we want to, when we are away, detoxing after.
Healthy food, but not starving if we can't find any when we are out.

The Newcastle diet for weight loss and the effects that has.
Carrying on hobbies, exercise, doing new stuff.

It was a very good chat.
(Far better than having needles stuck in me!)

But the thing I really miss was not shaking her hand when she finally threw me out.
It doesn't appear to have made a comeback.
I used to be a hugger, men and women, when I met people, or at least always shake hands if they were complete strangers.
It seems to leave a lot hanging when I don't do it now.
It seems some things have changed after all.

Tbh honest miss shaking hands also, find friends & family are OK with it but like you not so medical profession, but can understand why this be given volume of people they deal with on daily basis.

A very sad day for humankind. A hand shake connects us, connects strangers. For some, it may be the only physical contact they have. Says a lot about the confidence people have in the vaccines too. Health care is about more than just prescribing.

Last edited:
I simply put out my hand ... 95% of people still shake..

Anyone who tries to do the stupid elbow bump thing gets a very odd look...

Tbh honest miss shaking hands also, find friends & family are OK with it but like you not so medical profession, but can understand why this be given volume of people they deal with on daily basis.
I don't remember it ever being common to shake hands for a GP visit. And especially in winter (where things like flu and norovirus may be present) I'd never invite shaking hands with my GP (who'll be seeing a patient every 10 minutes so surely doesn't want to spend a minute or two washing hands between patients).

In other contexts, sure. (I sometimes shake hands with DJs or other people I know at milongas, but then that's a situation where everyone fully expects to be dancing in close embrace at least some of the time, so worrying about shaking hands would be silly.)

I don't remember it ever being common to shake hands for a GP visit. And especially in winter (where things like flu and norovirus may be present) I'd never invite shaking hands with my GP (who'll be seeing a patient every 10 minutes so surely doesn't want to spend a minute or two washing hands between patients).

In other contexts, sure. (I sometimes shake hands with DJs or other people I know at milongas, but then that's a situation where everyone fully expects to be dancing in close embrace at least some of the time, so worrying about shaking hands would be silly.)

Guess hand washing in-between would be tiresome & time consuming.

As a show of gratitude always reach out to shake hands of gps consultants, on some occasions they will be first to offer their hand from own experience.

I was never keen on shaking hands anyway. So I'm quite happy if it has gone. Socially required physical contact with people who I would rather not have any physical contact with. The possibility of sweaty hands or too tight grip leaving my hand sore even if not someone that has crept me out with the idea of them touching me.

People who I'm happy to have physical contact with, I would rather a hug or a pat on the shoulder.

(Re GPs washing hands though, I would imagine they frequently need to between patients anyway as often they need to physically examine not just talk...)

I'm sure they do, but they also wear gloves during such examinations.
Taking gloves off is a key contamination point. You should always wash your hands after removing gloves

It's bats - and a bit insulting really when you say eg 'I've got this problem with my knee being swollen that I'd like you to have a look at it please' - nowhere near anywhere they could possibly catch anything from cos no open wounds or oozing sores etc - or pass it on to anyone else and you only got out of the shower half an hour ago and donned nice clean clothes to go there.

With most people, surely they can tell PDQ whether you are 'socially clean' or not?

I have never stopped offering my hand to shake. It is ingrained as polite in my world, and I can't think of my outstretched hand every being rejected, aside from in the peak of the pandemic.

Aside from all else, in a business or medical setting, I shake hands at the outset, as it ensures I have the other person's attention. It is rare for someone to shake hands without making eye contact. At the conclusion of the meeting, the handshake usually accompanies my thanks.

I have never stopped offering my hand to shake. It is ingrained as polite in my world, and I can't think of my outstretched hand every being rejected, aside from in the peak of the pandemic.

Aside from all else, in a business or medical setting, I shake hands at the outset, as it ensures I have the other person's attention. It is rare for someone to shake hands without making eye contact. At the conclusion of the meeting, the handshake usually accompanies my thanks.
Eye contact isn't always linked with attention. For autistic people it can actually makes paying attention harder

Maybe it's a generation thing but I don't ever remember shaking hands with a medical professional.
I am interested, is it only the doc you hand shake or is it all HCPs? I find the phlebotomist at my surgery very matter of fact: "Sit there. Roll up your sleeve. Hold this cushion. You will feel a small prick. Thank you." And I am out of there. And I can't imagine shaking hands with a paramedic as I am lying on the floor in pain (the only time I have used an ambulance).

I shake hands in a business meeting if a hand is proffered. But, it does not always happen.

Plus there is the cultural side to consider which I was made very aware of when I visited UAE for work.

I am definitely grateful for the reduction in personal contact when I visit my in-laws. They are big huggers and I am not. It is just the way I was bought up. My MIL always insisted my nieces gave me a hug and kiss when they said goodbye. You could tell neither of us enjoyed it (especially when they became teenagers) but MIL insisted until the pandemic.

Why would you think you don't have their attention?
It was a one to one meeting, we were both chatting socially?
Don't you make eye contact as you enter a room?

Maybe it's a generation thing but I don't ever remember shaking hands with a medical professional.
I am interested, is it only the doc you hand shake or is it all HCPs? I find the phlebotomist at my surgery very matter of fact: "Sit there. Roll up your sleeve. Hold this cushion. You will feel a small prick. Thank you." And I am out of there. And I can't imagine shaking hands with a paramedic as I am lying on the floor in pain (the only time I have used an ambulance).

I shake hands in a business meeting if a hand is proffered. But, it does not always happen.

Plus there is the cultural side to consider which I was made very aware of when I visited UAE for work.

I am definitely grateful for the reduction in personal contact when I visit my in-laws. They are big huggers and I am not. It is just the way I was bought up. My MIL always insisted my nieces gave me a hug and kiss when they said goodbye. You could tell neither of us enjoyed it (especially when they became teenagers) but MIL insisted until the pandemic.

Definitely a cultural side to consider.
I had a HCP that would be ok sitting in a room with a man, but definitely made it clear any medical contact would need a chaperone.

Eye contact isn't always linked with attention. For autistic people it can actually makes paying attention harder
But as a general rule of thumb it can be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back