'I lost weight to avoid having to inject myself with insulin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
GRANDFATHER Peter McLaren received a shocking wake-up call about his weight when doctorstold him he would have to start injecting insulin.

The 61-year-old exam invigilator from Daneside Country Park, in Somerford, said he was determined not to become a diabetic 'junkie' after his dosage for type 2 diabetes reached 11 tablets a day.

He said: "I had previously been quite fit. I did a lot of work as a cricket umpire, but for the last couple of years I had been spending my weekends at the pub, watching football, drinking beer and eating pub food.

"My weight slowly increased and I was almost 21 stone at my heaviest.

"The doctors said I couldn't safely take any more tablets to treat my condition because of my size, and advised that I start taking insulin with a needle.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...ject-insulin/story-17157666-detail/story.html

I told them off for using the phrase 'diabetic junkie' 😡

Bet the students sitting exams appreciate a smaller invigilator, less likely to knock papers off their tables...

I'd love to know how you do this:
I knew I had to reduce my drinking and the mentors at Slimming World showed me that I could still eat all the things I enjoy, like potatoes or a full English breakfast, but that I needed to prepare them more healthily.

I never realised you had to be fit to be a cricket umpire, thought it involved a lot of standing around displaying other peoples jumpers and occasionally waving an arm and drinking and eating in a pub after the match, shows what I know about cricket.

It does sound a bit like a contradiction in terms, 'full English' : 'prepare healthily'! 😱

Having been insulin dependant since a child the use of "insulin junkie" really wound me up. When I visited the newspaper's website I was tempted to post things like "ignorant journalist"!!!!!!! I won't add further to this but you get my tone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back