I have volunteered for this study

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Its a bit of a read , but i am going to part in this study next week at liverpool universety

A Study Assessing the Postural Characteristics of People with Type 1 Diabetes
(A Study Comparing The Postural Characteristics Of People Aged 18 To 30 With Type 1 Diabetes In The Absence Of Peripheral Neuropathy Against Non-Diabetic Controls While Performing the Modified Functional Reach Test.)
Dear Sir or Madam,
You are being invited to participate in a research study. Before you decide whether to participate, it is important for you to understand why the research is being done and what it will involve. Please take time to read the following information carefully and feel free to ask us if you would like more information or if there is anything that you do not understand. Please also feel free to discuss this with your friends, relatives and GP if you wish. We would like to stress that you do not have to accept this invitation and should only agree to take part if you want to. Thank you for reading this.
What is the Purpose of This Study?

The ability to stand upright without falling is a complicated activity which relies on interactions between our eyes, inner ear, nerves and muscles. The entire process is controlled by our brain and spinal cord. An alteration in any one of these systems affects how our balance is coordinated and may produce abnormal posture and instability. In people with poorly controlled diabetes, the nerves which carry sensory information from our limbs may become damaged, this is known as sensory neuropathy. This reduces the amount of information available to the brain to coordinate balance. People with this form of nerve damage have been shown to have abnormal postures and are at an increased risk of falls. Recently, studies have demonstrated that healthy elderly adults with Type 2 Diabetes with no evidence of nerve damage may have abnormal postures in comparison to people without diabetes when performing tasks which are demanding on one?s posture. This means that the way weight is placed on the foot can be abnormal, and could have implications for the development of problems like diabetic foot disease. Currently it is unknown whether similar changes occur in young people with diabetes or those with Type I Diabetes. The purpose of this study is to address this lack of data and to investigate whether the pattern of abnormal posture in Type II Diabetes is replicated in those with Type 1 Diabetes.

Why Have I Been Chosen to Take Part?
If you have Type I Diabetes, you will have been approached to take part in this study to provide information about the posture of people with Type 1 Diabetes. If you do not have diabetes you will have been approached to provide data which will be used as a comparison to the data from people with Diabetes. Participation in this study is wholly voluntary and you should feel under no pressure or obligation to take part. If you consent to take part in the study but later change your mind you are free to withdraw at any point and no justification will be asked of you. Any data collected from you will be removed from the study and disposed of in a confidential manner.

Good luck with the study Scotty dunno if it said in your write up but is it week long?

Good luck withthe study. Let us know how it goes and how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back