I have my 640G

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusme

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It was a long day yesterday travelling to London to go on the first day training for the 640G and all the information I tried to take in made my mind boggle but at least I have plenty of information I can refer to and I have been told to play with it and look into all the things it can do because I only have saline in it for a week. I was amazed how they work out the pump dose out and to be told I will need much smaller total amount left to cover my meals. I will be glad when I get to use insulin next week and see how my body takes to the change.

I have watched all the videos on the net and found them helpful but can I ask you John you mentioned that you had to take out 2 sensors because they were really uncomfortable but at the cost of them it is an awful lot of money to throw away or did Medtronic replace them?

jusme

UKJohn perhaps? Does he have a pump?

Oops! Congratulations jusme, keep us posted on your progress.

Exciting times, jusme🙂

I've used the 640g for about 7 months now and it is a great pump, really clear menus and does everything I could want. I've used Medtronic sensors for 5 years and haven't had any comfort issues with them. On about 2 occasions I've had a sensor fail before the time is up and Medtronic have happily sent me a new sensor out and have sent a packet to return the faulty sensor to them for analysis but that has been really rare. Occasionally they prickle a bit but nothing major and most of the time I forget which part of my stomach the sensor is in.

Have a good play around with all the functions in your saline week and good luck when you go live with insulin 🙂

Thank you for your replies - Northerner John is everydayupsanddowns and I got in info from watching videos of his 64 days with a 640G.

I have carried out all the exercises they set for me bar one and I am doing that this morning. I was told I could go live with insulin if I felt confident enough to make the change over Flower, so I am doing a reservoir and cannula change this morning with saline and if all goes well I will go onto insulin in 2-3 days,

jusme

Hi jusme, Mike is everydaysupsanddowns 🙂 His 64 days on the 640g blogs are very good.

I hope the cannula and reservoir changes go smoothly for you and that you'll feel confident to use insulin in a couple of days.🙂

Get my 640g new toy on Monday. Glad to see you're getting used to the menus etc. I will look forward to reading your progress on insulin next week @justme

I have watched all the videos on the net and found them helpful but can I ask you John you mentioned that you had to take out 2 sensors because they were really uncomfortable but at the cost of them it is an awful lot of money to throw away or did Medtronic replace them?

Hello @jusme - You can call me John if you like 😉

Congrats on your new pump!

I can't recall saying anything about needing to take any sensors out because they were uncomfortable. The only time I took sensors out was when they had expired/ended. On one sensor the insertion didn't quite go right and somehow the 'filament' bit got slurped back into the sensor so that one would not start - but Medtronic just replaced that one. My use of the 640G was on a trial basis only. I had the pump on loan for around 9-10 weeks along with sensors to cover the period and a loan transmitter.

I did get quite a bit of skin irritation from the Enlite overtapes after the first few and ended up switching to another dressing (opsite) which didn't cause the red/inflamed area but still itched quite a bit. If I were using sensors again I'd probably look into Cavilon spray.

I have decided to opt for the 640G when my pump runs out of warranty in November, though I'm not quite sure when I will get the new one. However my PCT seems to have stopped any funding requests for sensors in adults, no matter how extreme the need - so I will need to self-fund if I want to use sensors when I get a 640G of my own.

Just a quick update to say that I went to my clinic yesterday to pick up my own permanent MM640G. I am hoping that I might be able to run it with sensors at some point (though I did with the Veo too and never quite managed it!) but the startup costs are quite steep so I will have to see how I get on.

I still found a lot to like about the 640G without the sensors though so I am enjoying all those little improvements in the meantime 🙂

Just a quick update to say that I went to my clinic yesterday to pick up my own permanent MM640G. I am hoping that I might be able to run it with sensors at some point (though I did with the Veo too and never quite managed it!) but the startup costs are quite steep so I will have to see how I get on.

I still found a lot to like about the 640G without the sensors though so I am enjoying all those little improvements in the meantime 🙂
Really pleased for you Mike, many more years of happy pumping.

Pleased to hear that you have got your 640G Mike. I asked about the sensors when I got mine and was told to try it out first and I must admit that I have been using it 5 weeks now and I have not had a hypo yet where I used to have one nearly every day, also it has made a world of difference being able to have 4 different basal rates which certainly sorts out the peaks I used to get so I am well pleased with it.

jusme

Pleased to hear that you have got your 640G Mike. I asked about the sensors when I got mine and was told to try it out first and I must admit that I have been using it 5 weeks now and I have not had a hypo yet where I used to have one nearly every day, also it has made a world of difference being able to have 4 different basal rates which certainly sorts out the peaks I used to get so I am well pleased with it.

jusme
Sounds excellent "Jusme" Keep us informed pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back