I have just been told I’m at risk, roughly how much sugar is appropriate on a daily basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatG

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I have just been told I’m at risk, roughly how much sugar is appropriate on a daily basis?

Welcome to the forum
When you get a diagnosis of diabetes or 'At risk' it means your body has problems coping with ALL carbohydrates not just 'sugar'.
Cutting out the high carbohydrate foods in particular cakes, biscuits, sugary drinks including fruit juice and reducing things like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, breakfast cereals, pastry, tropical fruits and starchy vegetables.
Depending on how close you are to an actual diabetic diagnosis (an HbA1C over 47mmol/mol) will indicate how much you will need to do, some modest changes may be all that is needed, cutting some things out or reducing portion sizes.
Many who follow a low carbohydrate dietary regime to manage their blood glucose have less than 130g per day TOTAL carbohydrate that being the important thing Total carb not just 'sugar'
Looking at packets and carb info on the internet will become second nature.
The book or app Carbs and Cals is a good resource as it gives carb values for a whole range of foods with portion sizes.
This link has explanation of the principals of a low carb approach and some do's and don'ts. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back