I have had enough of Metformin side effects ......any alternatives ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffyboyslim

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have tried normal , slow release , small dose , medium dose , with food , after food

I am not prepared to be visiting the toilet 4 or 5 times a day with stomach ache and explosive bowels or be told to eat more veg ......or drink more water .....I am doing that

Immodium is the only temporary relief

It's reduced my bg to 53 from 87 so it's a good medication but ......

I take it with 5 mg saxagliptin

I see the nurse a week Friday

What are my options because I have had enough

What can I take instead of metformin together with saxagliptin?
That seems to be the max dose of saxagliptin so it would need something else added, maybe one of the flozins which encourage the kidneys to excrete excess glucose in urine. You could ask to just try dropping the metformin and see how it goes.

Have you also made changes to your diet? Could you just totally ditch the metformin and only remain on the saxagliptin. I’ve only ever had Sitagliptin and my HbA1c has gone from 96 to 38 but I have also made radical dietary changes.

Have you also made changes to your diet? Could you just totally ditch the metformin and only remain on the saxagliptin. I’ve only ever had Sitagliptin and my HbA1c has gone from 96 to 38 but I have also made radical dietary changes.

Sitagliptin ?

That's a new one to me , there's so many

Yes I am making dietary changes

Well done you xx

Hi. Metformin never has that much effect on BS so if it is giving you problems that can't be fixed I would stop it. There are other different meds which may be worth considering in addition, of course, to keeping the Carbs down.

Hi. Metformin never has that much effect on BS so if it is giving you problems that can't be fixed I would stop it. There are other different meds which may be worth considering in addition, of course, to keeping the Carbs down.

Suggestions would be great

Suggestions would be great
Do you mean suggestions on the meds, really only your doctor can give you those but keeping carbs down there are plenty of links and suggestions here.
What meals do you currently have, some examples and people may be able to suggest ways of reducing the carbs in them.

Do you mean suggestions on the meds, really only your doctor can give you those but keeping carbs down there are plenty of links and suggestions here.
What meals do you currently have, some examples and people may be able to suggest ways of reducing the carbs in them.

Yes suggestions on possible meds , which I have recieved

Sitagliptin ?

That's a new one to me , there's so many

Yes I am making dietary changes

Well done you xx

If it's any use to you, I've never had any side effects at all on Sitagliptin but I am aware everyone is different..............before someone comes along and points that out :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back